Modding an amp to accept CV - apologies in advance if i'm being an idiot

What's Hot
colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
edited April 2017 in Amps
So, it's my understanding that a potentiometer regulates voltage to adjust values. And, an expression pedal input on a pedal is a way of connecting a potentiometer to a pedal. Yes?

So, is there anyway an amp's pots could be modded to accept CV? I'm thinking specifically of Trem speed on a Fender style amp.

I know nothing about electronics and quite possibly have misunderstood everything, rendering this discussion moot.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    A potentiometer doesn't regulate voltage unless a voltage is applied to it - it can also be used as a simple variable resistance… which is what the speed control on a tremolo circuit is.

While it *could* be done - using an opto-coupler probably - it would be tricky to get right, since the pot taper (at least on a Fender) is a reverse Log. While it would still work, the range of speed relative to the CV input might not be very useful.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM Cheers! Well that puts that one to bed :)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28405
    If you used a Source Audio Reflex to generate the CV you can change the effective taper on the Reflex, which might solve that.

Still sounds complimacated to me.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."