If you could change what you know now.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I wish I'd started playing drums 10 years earlier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    I'm happy TBH.

Guitar has always just been a hobby to me so as long as I can makes noises I kind of like that's enough. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    Lots I'd do different.  Get a teacher, learn to read earlier, learn some piano (maybe even focus on keys instead of guitar).

But if I had to pick one, learn drums.  I don't have good enough physical co-ordination or natural rhythm/time to be a very good drummer, but I think playing drums would really have sped up my ability to see a piece of music whole instead of over-focussing on the things that naturally attract my interest like voice and melody.  I played bass exclusively for a number of years which helped with that, but drums would have been better.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • It'd hard to say. Times have changed enormously. Whereas I flicked page-by-page through Metallica and Megadeth (horribly inaccurate in places too) tab books, kids can now watch YouTube videos with great players or utilise Go Play Along and Guitar Pro.

More than anything, play with other musicians. Especially those better or different than you. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I wish I'd spent more time in the early years comparing very similar sounding overdrive pedals. It really has only been a "thing" of mine in the last 10 years. Such a waste.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22881
    I wish I'd concentrated on (a) learning songs and (b) attempting to actually play with some similarly incompetent fuckwits.

Instead of spending years fantasing about becoming some kind of guitar hero (and not even really trying to achieve it).
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Timing is the main thing for me. 

I didn't play with other musicians until I'd been playing quite a while and, for some reason, playing along to records never occurred to me so I'd "learn" a song but the timing would be all over the place. 

As a result I don't have particularly natural phrasing when soloing. If I'm improvising everything would start on the 1 and there'd be very little rhythmic variation in my playing. It's only really now that I'm breaking away from such mechanical playing. 

Also, I think that if I'd appreciated the importance of timing sooner I could have put in the hours honing my technique working with a metronome when i was younger and had the time to do it. Finding time now to do, for example, picking exercises regularly enough to make any really difference is hard. 

The only other thing really is that i wish i hadn't been so lazy about reading standard notation. We had recorder and keyboard lessons at school so I can read music but I've relied on tab so much that I've lost the skill.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited April 2017
    Learn to sing and learn piano as others have posted earlier. I think that would also have improved my ear. My ear's not that bad, but I can't transcribe without the aid of an instrument to find some of the notes, unless it's guitar licks I recognise.

But now I've retired I'm working to address that.
    It's not a competition.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I started singing in my last band at aged 47, so just earlier. But really I wished I'd upped & moved to America in my 20's. I think guitar players & musicians in general are hugely undervalued in British popular culture. It's all about haircuts & PR here. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    Not so much to do with technique and stuff, I just wish I'd used the money I made from my first few jobs after leaving school to buy good gear instead of pissing it all away.

I swear, the concept of actually saving to buy things I couldn't afford out of one month's wages never occurred to me for about a decade after my first Saturday job at 17, and the amount I could have saved then as a single person compared to now with a wife, three kids and a mortgage would have been huge.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3076
    Wiz to the max. I'd have some right gear if I could have stayed our of the pub just a bit.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"