Axe Fx standard or POD HD X

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Another thing to consider is the Axe is a pain to use on the front panel so if you want to use Axe edit you'll need a midi interface as it doesn't have USB. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, cheers for all the advice guys, I think going for the Axe FX standard as that's within my budget :D 
    it is a pain as I need to buy a new interface with midi compatability
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    If you are interested I have an Ultra and FCB1010 which are surplus to requirements.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Tried a pod HD in fact two owned by diff friends and an XT, x3pro they did some things ok but could never do the epic, wow what a tone, blues sounds...  (funny thing was could produce epic tones out of spider 2 and spider valve heads)... Tried and tried and never got to a point where one tone sounded "yeah that's it in the bag"

Bought a digitech GSP1101 (funnily enough of the boss man on here - in fact it's how I found the forum).  And what a difference produced some epic tones (even from some presets) unbelievable sounds and I pretty much always DI straight to desk (so nowhere to disguise the sounds like through an amp).  Although I have not tried an AxeFX the guys I know that have say the gsp and axe are very close sounding out of the box with gsp maybe slightly edging it.  However if you put the time in with the small settings and tweaks the AxeFX allows it will edge ahead slightly for sound.

So with that in mind I have to recommend AxeFX over pod.  The later line6 stuff like helix I think sounds a bit better bit bit hot sat down at length.  I'd say if, tone is everything to you, and you want a sound that's not gonna make you a bit "maybe I should go back to an amp, or basically run it 4 cable and always use amps preamp" then it has to be the AxeFX. My wild card, budget, recommendation will always be GSP1101, epic tones, in fact really let's guitars own tone changes shine through and for £150-180 s/h or £270-300 with control 2 floorboard it's an epic deal :)
  • @Roland ;
    how much would you take for the ultra?

@mr-mac
    Thanks for the advice mate, I'm really drawn to the AXE FX Standard, All the tones I've heard from the POD HD and even the helix, like you said, I haven't heard anything amazing 

checking out the Helix the tone sounds fizzy, but then again I've heard you can really get a good sound if you know what you're doing.

and I'm in another predicament, I can get my hands on a helix or axe fx for the same price now so... :/ the POD HD PRO X is out of the equation, I'm torn between Helix and Axe FX standard.  

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Canny help you on that one.. Heard a fire thing latest L6 device I've heard at long term... Nice enough direct to PA but still doesn't sound as good as the gsp1101 direct so still lean axefx way myself if had choice but then helix will probably gain some updates and improvements which I don't think original Axefx will get any more :)