Sly and Robbie

EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
Been watching a documentary about Sly and Robbie. They've played on and produced an awful lot of stuff since the mid 1970s. 

So, quick random sample off YouTube as a bit of a celebration of their talents:

Might be be an odd place to start but they did the bass and drums on this (Mark Knopfler on guitar and production) so illustrates that they did a wider spectrum than reggae. Not them in the video BTW! 

I was was listening to this the other day and thought how fantastic it was, didn't realise it was a Sly and Robbie remix.

Producing and playing on the Grace Jones' hits are possibly what they are best known for. 

They were obviously quite happy working with some challenging artists. Reworking of a reggae classic, the bass on this is just awesome.

Again, outside their reggae comfort zone (producing and playing here)and, indeed, many people's comfort zones with this song.

Slightly crackly version but a very influential record in reggae with Sly and Robbie providing the rythmn.

Bass and drums here, just such a great cover: that classic mix of African reggae, Pink floyd and bagpipes.

Obviously there are dozens and dozens more.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    edited April 2017
    I love Sly and Robbie - spent a lot of time many moons ago listening to their brilliant and best album Dub Experience.  This is a great track with Black Uhuru

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297

@zoolooter there's no link, just a picture? Assuming it's this? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I'd forgotten about them, they got talked about a lot in the 90s. I have an album on vinyl somewhere, haven't played it for decades
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    edited April 2017

@zoolooter there's no link, just a picture? Assuming it's this? 
    Cheers, that's the one.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    And Nu Nordic Jazz ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!