Has Trump started WW3

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    So....my concern here is the Trump acted without any recourse to the UN and therefore acted alone.  Some may see that as a good thing, a clear indication of decisive action, but I believe its cause for concern that he is unwilling to follow a diplomatic route to see if pressure could be brought to bear before sending in the big guns. The russians have started making noises that they are deeply unhappy and will be strengthening assads forces.  Its a a position that escalates quickly and messily.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    So....my concern here is the Trump acted without any recourse to the UN and therefore acted alone.  Some may see that as a good thing, a clear indication of decisive action, but I believe its cause for concern that he is unwilling to follow a diplomatic route to see if pressure could be brought to bear before sending in the big guns. The russians have started making noises that they are deeply unhappy and will be strengthening assads forces.
    ie strengthening their hand in Syria. You might even think that teaching Assad to be a bit more careful and at the same time giving Russia a reason to play the restraining influence, while being able to portray Trump as a loose cannon might be to Putin's advantage… nah.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    Steffo said:
    Assad is bombing hospitals, that's bad enough to me.
    So did Israel, be he's not bombing Israel.
    They surely deserve it...
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16152
    Steffo said:
    Assad is bombing hospitals, that's bad enough to me.
    So did Israel, be he's not bombing Israel.
    No ,evil Palestinian Terrorists ,Hamas and Hezbollah are doing a good job of that on their own
    Israel do not bomb hospitals -they bomb hospitals that cowardly terrorists use as munitions dumps and rocket launch hideouts
    Shalom Israel
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11972
    Selective Gunboat diplomacy
    I think I know where they got the playbook for that from

I'm hoping that even an idiot can make the right choice sometimes, we'll have to see what happens
    I've got no idea how anyone can predict the correct course of action in the middle east and North Africa, get rid of one tyrant, and the consequences can be worse. Clearly Assad is an evil thug, but so are many of the other parties. Should all his aircraft be destroyed? I think probably, to reduce air strikes, but ground forces can kill just as many. 
    I've got no idea how anyone can predict the correct course of action in the middle east and North Africa, get rid of one tyrant, and the consequences can be worse. Clearly Assad is an evil thug, but so are many of the other parties. Should all his aircraft be destroyed? I think probably, to reduce air strikes, but ground forces can kill just as many. 
    I'd bet that simply keeping our noses out and doing nothing would, on balance, be better in the long run even if not perfect. And that's not to deny that Assad, Gaddafi, Saddam etc were murderous dictators.

In fact I would go further and suggest that we should never interfere in the affairs of other countries at all unless to protect our own citizens if necessary/possible, in support of the legitimate government having been asked to, or under UN mandate as peacekeepers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    ICBM said:
    I'd bet that simply keeping our noses out and doing nothing would, on balance, be better in the long run even if not perfect. And that's not to deny that Assad, Gaddafi, Saddam etc were murderous dictators.

In fact I would go further and suggest that we should never interfere in the affairs of other countries at all unless to protect our own citizens if necessary/possible, in support of the legitimate government having been asked to, or under UN mandate as peacekeepers.

But how would we make our money as a country? 
    joeyowen said:

But how would we make our money as a country? 
    I think you'd find it would save money.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10859545/Wars-in-Iraq-and-Afghanistan-were-a-failure-costing-29bn.html

For comparison, £29billion would pay for the entire NHS budget for three months.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    mike_l said:
    boogieman said:
    Obama's policy of appeasement towards Assad

Appeasement doesn't work.
    See the rise of Hitler for proof.

These dictatorial leaders rule by fear, which makes them bullies. Bullies do not like when someone fights back.

I am not generally impressed with Trump but I do approve of his 'hit them hard' approach.  As @mike_l wrote 'Bullies do not like when someone fights back'. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    You have to remember that these dictators are terrible people, but the issue is that when they are removed it's always terrorists that take over. 

It happened in Iraq and Libya. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    Who could have possibly predicted that Trump would make ill-advised, ego-driven, overly-emotive decisions that have potentially huge international ramifications and threaten the safety of the entire world?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom