Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Solos That Mirror the Vocal Melody

What's Hot

Comments

• Surprised nobody's come out and said "like every fucking Santana song ever" yet...

Actually when Santana does it, and then does some widdly shit in between every few words of the song as well it annoys me to no-end.

Take for example "Just Feel Better" - Santana feat. Steven Tyler.
    Great lyrics
    Great melody
    Amazing vocalist (IMHO)
    And then Santana wanks all over that track with his guitar and it's done. Ruined.

However there's some great examples of using guitar solo/melody lines that mirror the vocals elsewhere. I'm thinking "No You Girls" by Franz Ferdinand for some reason?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cacofonix said:
    Does George Benson's (and Terry Allonby's) ability to sing along with the lead line count?
    You get a wisdom for that. You threw in a good curve ball there.  I Iike G.B's playing a lot and the ability to do that is extraordinary.

I'll have to listen to Terry Allonby as he's new to me.

:)

I don't know if Terry's work is out there, tbh.  He is local to me.  Used to be Tony Christie's guitarist, but went into jazz about 40 years ago, and only plays about a gig a month.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol @Lukeage

Carlos not high up on your list of Fave Geeetarists ;-)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    edited February 2014
    Glad you liked it @Bellycaster and try the best of album and that way you can find the era you like. (The "Gaudi" album features some great Alan Murphy style guitaring but Ian has an uncanny knack for delivering great, melodic solos. He's a real unsung hero!
  • Kebabkid said:
    Glad you liked it @Bellycaster and try the best of album and that way you can find the era you like. (The "Gaudi" album features some great Alan Murphy style guitaring but Ian has uncanny knack for delivering great, melodic solos. He's a real unsung hero!
    I will @Kebabkid.

I had no idea he was the Guitarist in Pilot. I've learned he is a Shetland Islander as well, you don't get many Shetland Guitar Heroes to the Pound.

He's def worth checking out.

Cheers KK.
    edited February 2014
    And after all these years, Pilot are playing a one-off in Edinburgh this year.
    He also played guitar on the Bucks Fizz stuff, so coming back to the thread, the outro solo in "Land of make believe" follows the vocal
  • Kebabkid said:
    And after all those years, Pilot are playing a one-off in Edinburgh this year.
    He also played guitar on the Bucks Fizz stuff, so coming back to the thread, the outdo solo in "Land of make believe" follows the vocal
    Correct, good one.

I'm not ashamed to admit that that is a very good song, it, and more Bucks Fizz tracks just get stigmatized due to the act that performed them.

Up the Fizz ;-)
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Mmmm Jay Aston.
  • johnnyurq;155115" said:
    Mmmm Jay Aston.
    I'm more "inclined" towards Cheryl. She was gorgeous

;)
    Jay Aston still looks great and has a good voice. She's married to a superb guitarist , Dave Colquoun, who's played with all sorts of big names.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11318
    Intro to Pilot's "Magic" is superb, if that's him - tip of the hat to the fella.

Bellycaster;155131" said:
    [quote="johnnyurq;155115"]Mmmm Jay Aston.

;) [/quote]

Rita Maria Crudgington if you will, she seemed like fun but Jay was just loverly.

I used to have some nice large posters of Jay back in the day in me bedroom.

:D

Kebabkid;155132" said:
    Jay Aston still looks great and has a good voice. She's married to a superb guitarist , Dave Colquoun, who's played with all sorts of big names.
    Yes indeed she still looks very good especially when you consider how she had a such bad time with that bus crash and her attempted suicide.

Dave Colquhoun  he was in diverse things as Bow Wow Wow and some of Rick Wakeman's stuff, maybe even Yes if I am not remembering incorrectly.

I had/major a major thing for her but sadly the courts will not let me give to her, bloody restraining orders and anti stalking laws.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3983
    edited February 2014
    She's Electric

Like a Hurricane

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    First solo in Knights of Cydonia

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4986
    Years ago I read somewhere that a guitar solo is the guitarists version of the song melody.  Not 100% the same but not wildly different either.  Close enough that a listener will hear one in the other.  This must be why I always thought that the guitar solo in SCOM by Slash is among the list of the direst guitar solos that ever were recorded.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    Years ago I read somewhere that a guitar solo is the guitarists version of the song melody.  Not 100% the same but not wildly different either.  Close enough that a listener will hear one in the other.  This must be why I always thought that the guitar solo in SCOM by Slash is among the list of the direst guitar solos that ever were recorded.
    That's one way to look at a Guitar solo in a song, but I don'tn think it need be a "rule" as such, it's just that particular author's (whoever it was that wrote it) interpretation of what he thinks it should be.

It's probably worth mentioning something from the University of the Bleeding Obvious that is apparent now after looking at this thread, can't believe I didn't spot it earlier.

Take SCOM for example, the first section of that solo is played over a chord progression that doesn't match(isn't like for like) another in the song, so it's not typically going to resemble a vocal melody of an earlier section of the song. I think the faster second section of that solo including the outro also has a chord sequence that isn't "like for like" anywhere prior.

I don't think it's a bad solo at all, he plays a solo that fits over those chords. It's down as being written by them all (on Wiki), so I can't comment on who wrote all the chord sequences.

I'm only analysing SCOM as I'm playing it in my head btw, I've not done a thesis on it.

Then take Oasis "She's Electric" as mentioned by Chris. The Solo is played over the same Chord Progression as the verses, so it's more conducive to play a melody that is similar to the vocal pattern, ok you don't have to, but it's like it's drawing you towards it.

Steely Dan, Reeling in the Years has both, the intro solo partly resembles the vocals in the Chorus(Chorus Chord Prog) and the main solo in the middle is an entirely different creature, different chord prog.

I'll shut it now ;-)
  • johnnyurq said:

;) [/quote]

Rita Maria Crudgington if you will, she seemed like fun but Jay was just loverly.

Kebabkid;155132" said:
    Yes indeed she still looks very good especially when you consider how she had a such bad time with that bus crash and her attempted suicide.

Dave Colquhoun  he was in diverse things as Bow Wow Wow and some of Rick Wakeman's stuff, maybe even Yes if I am not remembering incorrectly.

I had/major a major thing for her but sadly the courts will not let me give to her, bloody restraining orders and anti stalking laws.
    You just need a good disguise @johnnyurq just so the Rozzers don't recognise you when you're hanging around her pad for an "Autograph". 

She was a good looking lass, yes, it just a taste thing. I must go for the more "Homely" looking girls, that's a bad, ill-fitting word really, but I can't think of a better one at the moment as to what I'm rattling on about. 

;-)
    edited February 2014
    johnnyurq said:

;) [/quote]

Kebabkid;155132" said:

http://www.theperfectmusiclibrary.com/Composers/Details/42/dave-colquhoun

I know of Dave Colquhoun as he worked in Rockbottom Music, Croydon in the early 90s and I took over from him in the second generation of The Vapors  with The Vapor Corporation or TVC. We all knew he was destined for great things as he was a monster talent and thank God I was allowed to use the parts I came up with as I couldn't have followed his technical ability! A couple more things or connections with Dave - I think he may even have done some gigs with It Bites and I was also told that he came from the same area/village as Francis Dunnery and they were mates. The last thing to add is the bassist he's played with in numerous bands, Lee Pomeroy, also worked with him at Rockbottom and went on to play with him in the Wakeman band and occasionally does stints with It Bites if Nat King wasn't available due to guitar duties with his brother in Level 42. Well, he's been the bassist in Take That since their comeback and you couldn't wish for a more deserving case. There, that's at least 2 people that I know of who've taken their talent further and are making a serious living out of it.
    johnnyurq said:

;) [/quote]

Kebabkid;155132" said:

You just need a good disguise @johnnyurq just so the Rozzers don't recognise you when you're hanging around her pad for an "Autograph". 

She was a good looking lass, yes, it just a taste thing. I must go for the more "Homely" looking girls, that's a bad, ill-fitting word really, but I can't think of a better one at the moment as to what I'm rattling on about. 

;-)
    The comedy beard and tache never worked, plus the clown outfit which turned out to be the IT one scared her off.

Nowt wrong with Cheryl just I only had eyes for Jay.
    edited February 2014
    Kebabkid said:
    johnnyurq said:

;) [/quote]

Kebabkid;155132" said:

http://www.theperfectmusiclibrary.com/Composers/Details/42/dave-colquhoun

I know of Dave Colquhoun as he worked in Rockbottom Music, Croydon in the early 90s and I took over from him in the second generation of The Vapors  with The Vapor Corporation or TVC. We all knew he was destined for great things as he was a monster talent and thank God I was allowed to use the parts I came up with as I couldn't have follow his technical ability! A couple more things or connections with Dave - I think he may even have done some gigs with It Bites and I was also told that he came from the same area/village as Francis Dunnery and they were mates. The last thing to add is the bassist he's played with in numerous bands, Lee Pomeroy, also worked with him at Rockbottom and went on to play with him in the Wakeman band and occasionally does stints with It Bites if Nat King isn't available due to guitar duties with his brother in Level 42. Well, he's been the bassist in Take That since their comeback and you couldn't wish for a more deserving case. There, that's at least 2 people that I know of who've taken their talent further and are making a serious living out of it.
    Nice one and he certainly got about, great player though for sure.

How long were you in TVC?

Well cool I bet yiu enjoyed that.