Things that are guaranteed to put you off an eBay listing

What's Hot

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    Not much immediately puts me off an ad, but when the entire ad consists of shit like this:

'guitar for sale great condition'

Wow I bet they could sell a pair of boxing gloves to Steven Hawking with that expert sales technique.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited April 2017
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gordon-Smith-SG1-Better-than-my-Gibson-SG-/252869987626?hash=item3ae039cd2a:g:L1oAAOSwvihY8rtg

"this is a better guitar than my Gibson SG, and is one of my most playable guitars. It’s the sort of guitar that you strap on and almost forget it is there ... there's no resistance, no fighting it, you just point your fingers at the notes and it does the rest."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
    Oh, I've thought of another one. "Investment grade". (Meaning, ludicrously overpriced.)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30295
    "Reliced".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1794
    It used to be all the normal cliches 

Plays like butter, Pet Free etc etc Pictures of your bikini clad  daughter or slutty girlfriend with it between her thighs etc etc. 

Now I always check other items and feedback as almost everyone  selling these days is a flipper and trying to make a few quid out of a tax free business. Hey ho
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    Jack_ said:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gordon-Smith-SG1-Better-than-my-Gibson-SG-/252869987626?hash=item3ae039cd2a:g:L1oAAOSwvihY8rtg

"this is a better guitar than my Gibson SG, and is one of my most playable guitars. It’s the sort of guitar that you strap on and almost forget it is there ... there's no resistance, no fighting it, you just point your fingers at the notes and it does the rest."
    Yeah, I saw this one - well, if it's one of your best-playing guitsrs, WTF are you doing selling it?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    Not on eBay, but there's an (obvious) trader on Gumtree who prefixes all his ad content (all 170 of them) with capitalised blurb stating that he's a 'Private Seller' (which he clearly isn't).

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
    Ads that list a bunch of unrelated brands in the title so it appears in searches and one line descriptions that dont tell you anything about the item or condition that its in
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7041
    tFB Trader
    There is guy in Manchester who swamps Gumtree with second hand items near or even above new prices, with "Sorry, no offers!" in every ad.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    When the guitar is described as 'Mint' and then the description goes on to say 'apart from.....'. It's either mint or it's not. There are no graduations or increments of 'Mint'. It either is or it isn't. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Wolfetone said:
    When the guitar is described as 'Mint' and then the description goes on to say 'apart from.....'. It's either mint or it's not. There are no graduations or increments of 'Mint'. It either is or it isn't. 
    What about pepper and spear?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    PayPal, eBay rules, and its innate ability to attract arseholes 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Jack_ said:
    Wolfetone said:
    What about pepper and spear?
    Then we're on to talking sauce, real sauce. Ha, ... led like a lamb ... I mutton joke though. Mint is serious business. Especially where money's concerned.
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176

Just read this example of what puts me off of buying from the bay of E.

"play-ability on this guitar is brilliant, personally for me everything feels so effortless to play, the neck is simply stunning and its very close to being the best guitar ive ever owned, only reason for sale is basically due to unforeseen expenses i need the money, simple as that, if i didnt need the pennies there is no way in hell i would even consider selling this guitar! i currently own an esp/ltd ec-1000 which retailed at over £1000 n id say the ec-500 blows that out the water easily!!! "

So why aren't you keeping this and selling the ec-1000 ?

Also, a full stop here and there would be nice.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2602
    Pretty much any form of really obvious hard-sell puts me off tbh.

Just makes me suspect the seller is the type who's willing to bend the truth a little and be a dick in public if he thinks there's a few quid in it for him, none of which inspires trust.

Not necessarily a total deal breaker, depending on other factors, but definitely a signal to proceed with caution.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30295
    I draw the line at them offering sexual favours to sweeten the deal.
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    Gadgie said:

If you're looking at this you already know great these are

+1 that really annoys me a lot.

"If you're looking at this then you already know what it is." great sales pitch.

It's the laziness and stupidity of it in the first place, but also the fact they have seen someone else write it on another ad and thought it was a good idea to copy it.

Imagine if you went on to Andertons website and for every product they just wrote, "if you're looking at this then you already know what it is."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    Philly_Q said:
    "Pictures to follow"
    and then they dont follow. the item gets relisted again without any photos.

I really do not understand why people do this.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Sassafras said:
    I draw the line at them offering sexual favours to sweeten the deal.
    I don't!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
    Also, this sort of thing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fender-amp-/192161481198

What's the point?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom