Best cheap gigging guitar with both h/b and single coil tones

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    edited April 2017
    Voxman said:
    grungebob said:
    Hss mim strat as others have said but I'd also look at the PRS se Dave Navarro model. Really great solid guitar with the partial tap mod already done and makes for very usable tones. 
    I liked mine so much I replaced the stock pickups for USA PRS ones and changed the nit for a USA PRS one too. 
    That then lead on to selling it to buy a core PRS. I wish I had kept it. 
    Thanks @grungebob but I have a 2002 US PRS Custom 24 already and I'm not a huge fan of the Dave Navarro model.  I also wouldn't want to change p/ups or hardware on any guitar I buy - if it's not right for me stock, I don't want it.   
    Oh I didn't mean for you to change the hardware, I did and it didn't make that much difference. If you've got a CU24 the only diff with the DN is colour really so no point. What about a westone prestige corsair or cutlass, great UK made guitars for around your price point?

or an ibanez S771?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mr_airmr_air Frets: 24
    Fender (or Squier!! Ha ha) 51? They have strat neck pickup and bridge humbucker
    My first thought too. The Yamaha seems like a really good choice and I would also considder the G&L Fallout.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    I can see that there's definitely more than a few good options to consider.  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    My checklist for the guitar would include nice feel, reasonably cover single coil and humbucker sounds, no hums or whistles at high volume, priced cheap enough to replace if stolen/damaged, yet ugly enough not to get attached to
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    My checklist for the guitar would include nice feel, reasonably cover single coil and humbucker sounds, no hums or whistles at high volume, priced cheap enough to replace if stolen/damaged, yet ugly enough not to get attached to
    Well, pretty much...but I don't want something ugly and It does have to look respectable. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course. But I can't imagine I'd get overly attached to a Variax.  For me, a JTV69 with that nasty cheap looking headstock falls into the ugly category.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    Voxman said:
    Came across a brand I've not heard of before - 'Fret King'.  Any info on these guitars would be appreciated. As far as I can glean, these are made in Asia and appear to be well made with good quality hardware.  Second-hand would seem to be the way to go as that's often half the new prices from what I've found.

If anyone here has a Fret King guitar and could tell me more about them and comment on tone, overall build quality, hardware quality etc I'd be very interested.  

Fret King guitars are superb for the money. The Blue Label guitars are exceptional value second hand. They are discontinued so you can't buy them new but bargains are to be had if you can find one used.

I recently sold by Blue Label Super 60 HB on here for £200. It was easily on par with any USA Fender Strat I've had, one of the better strat style guitars I've owned, the neck was especially nice and the pickups are great, never felt the need to change them out.

I only sold it as I had an opportunity to buy my old Peavey Custom Shop guitar back, and I needed the cash.

I agree that the Fret King Blue Label guitars are superb for the money; well-designed and built, with good quality parts. @voxman If you are travelling to Tottenham Court Road check out Ivor Mairants as they stock Fret King guitars. The Blue Label range is now discontinued, but it's asking if they have or could get one.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Voxman said:
    I don't want something ugly and It does have to look respectable. 
    I was the kind of batchelor that used to talk to every girl who came up the bar, and fell in love with those that talked back. So I'd find it hard to find an ugly guitar if it was playable in any way.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom