What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Rabea's new signature model looks good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • steer said:
    Nikko said:
    Im interested to see if the weight issue has been resolved then on these new models.
    Given the current prices, you'd certainly hope so - I was aghast at the cost. I know there are certain economic realities at play, but IMO you'd be barmy to buy an ML2 over a real used Gibson, ESP or PRS.
    I must be barmy then!

I bought a used ML2 instead of a used PRS SE. My impressions are that it is as good as as the PRS SE (ebony fretboard actually better IMO, and anyway it was built in the same factory etc), and was actually quite a bit cheaper. Mine already had upgraded pups, so I cannot comment on the stock ones. 
    There's a PRS CE (not SE) on sale in this very parish for £300 less than a Korean ML2-Pro  - the new lines (if we're ignoring the indonesian ones, which I think was the main thrust of the discussion but please feel free to ignore this if not) are all more than a grand and that buys you ALOT of guitar on the second hand market.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nikko said:
    Its the ML-1 im after :) Ive already got a Gibson LP, and an ESP Viper.
    I've not played the new 'pro' range but i'd suggest if you already have a Gibbo and an ESP you may be somewhat underwhelmed by a Chapman
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    But I can't possibly know unless I try some :) 
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    I am interested in the mlv which is odd as I have never liked v shaped guitars before. If it has an original Floyd Rose and not a 1000 series then the price is pretty good if the hardcase is of good quality. I reckon it will be a 1000 though which puts me off a little. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I've got a lefty ML-1 I keep thinking about flogging.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I have an ml-2 (the second phase/run). 

The differences I can see between mine and the new one is thus: 

So my 'old' ml2 has a tone pro bridge, strung thru body, and grover tuners.

The new ml2 (standard, not the pro spec) is the same mostly but has chapman branded tuners and bridge, with a tailpiece instead of being thru body, bar inlays instead of offset dots and a rolled fingerboard. 

The new one is supposedly lighter, and also has a new set of pickups in it. 

The downside is no grovers or tone pro bridge for the same price. 
    I guess thats the offset, better pups (maybe) as standard, a more comfy neck etc. 

Then its a huge jump up in price to the pro spec. 

I also have a Prs se tremonti (£399) when new, Indonesian made. 
    Which is quite good to compare against a Chapman ml2 which also cost me £399. 

The chapman has more features, ie a coil split, tusq nut, ebony board, grovers and tone pro bridge. 
    Its cutaway and neck join is also nice, allowing great access up the neck. Preferable to me over the se tremonti's neck join (not that its bad). 

The se tremonti of mine has a rosewood board with birds, slightly better pickups, the hardware is prs' own but it holds up great, it has 2 vol, 2 tones compared to the chapmans 2 vol 1 tone. Its lighter, the body slimmer, the neck marginally fatter (its a wide/fat carve). 

I also had briefly an epiphone les paul standard plus top pro. 
    It cost similar to those 2 above, had locking bridges, grover tuners, coil splits, covered humbuckers (forgot their name, burstbucker? Or is that the gibson variant?), AAA flame maple top, and sat in the middle of the chapman and tremonti in terms of weight. 

The chapman and tremonti came with a gig bag. The chapman gig bag is of better quality imho. 

All 3 are mahogany body, set neck. 
    All 3 resonate and play nicely. 
    All 3 seem/seemed well built. 
    All 3 were/are comfy to play and hold. The Tremonti being the comfiest due to its slimmer/lighter body and nicely fat neck. 
    All 3 came set up great. 
    The prs was checked by the uk prs peoples before it went to pmt. 

The chapman meant visiting Andertons to get, but I was shown both ml2's in natural which the staff went and got from the warehouse for me. 

The epiphone I didnt get on with because I have a very odd problem with my fingers sticking to strings... not a guitar related problem, I think its my biology, but it was worse on the epi so I just couldnt play it.. shame, because I'd have kept it. 

None have any dead spots or weird tones in certain locales. 
    All the frets on each have been finished ok, ie I havn't had a nickel splinter! 

The finish of the chapman is generally great. However there are a few small marks on the side of the ebony board near/ at the join to the body. 
    It also has bigger frets than the prs or epi, so that may be an issue for some. 

The other two guitars, I can't/couldnt find any finish issues with. 

Im generally more of an Esp fan. For no other reason than the models I've played have just felt good for me, however theyre usually more expensive for a similar spec to the 3 guitars above. 

Just my rambles and several cents :) 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Honestly interested to know why you'd buy a new ML-3 Trad Pro over a Fender Baja Tele.....same price! Chapman just need more classic colours IMO....