JVM 410H GASsage.

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

Just sold my JVM210C as I didn't get on with the 2nd channels OD sound - it was too modern and metally for my tastes...so I just bought a 410H to try in its place. I know it has 2 channels that were missing on the 210C - the crunch and OD-1. The OD-2 is the same as the 2nd channel on the 210C that I've just flogged, so I'm banking on the 2 new channels being more my classic/hard rock tastes....if not then i'll punt it back n recoup my dosh. Just got the amp for just under £600 inc postage, minter apparently...should be with me in a day or 3....can't wait. I'll either love it and think this is it. Or I will think meh and set about getting my money back..we'll see.

Soon winging its way to my place.......seems like a reasonable price, or at least one where getting my money back shouldn't be too difficult. :-) 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282393809548?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• correct me if im wrong but i thought the extra channels were just duplicating the first two and meant as a convenient way or preseting sounds?
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited April 2017
    No - OD1 and OD2 are differently voiced. On the Satriani model they are matching not the standard issue JVM. Plus the 4 channel JVMs have a nice crunch channel as well..which is absent on the 2 channel wuns like wot I had.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Sued for libel.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 168

Not a bad amp - OD1 is the more modern voiced and OD2 the classic voiced. The one I had I replaced the resistor on the board with a proper choke (3H). Really made a difference overall to the amp. Depending on how much gain you like to use on OD1 & 2 - I rarely went beyond the orange mode.

The crunch channel - both orange & red modes were great for classic/hard rock. Took pedals really well too on this channel. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

yeah on the OD-1 and OD-2 methinks green and amber is all I'd ever need can't imagine ever using red - if I did then green would be too clean....not really into mega high gain. Even that said I'm fully aware this amp has more gain than the heaviest metal player could ever need - including "teh brutalz" brigade.

Now I was all set to gig it this coming Friday as this:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/sir-axeman/20170414_201246_zpsz1acsxw4.jpg

but I just had an idea, I'd need another speaker cable (so may well order one to do this) but I thought maybe take the back off my 1922 cab and have that open backed and the Harley Benton (2xV30s) as closed on the bottom......

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/sir-axeman/20170416_184809_zpsayn1cntk.jpg

hmmm wonder if the effort would be worthwhile??

• polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited April 2017
    It’s a little confusing, because the clean/crunch channel on the JVM2 does not match any of the channels on the JVM4. Adding to this confusion is that the manual describes the modes/channels incorrectly. Here’s what Santiago Alvarez, the designer of the JVMs though now no longer with Marshall, said about the JVM2 (from the JVM Forum):

“clean green is new, JVM2s have post gain clean tone controls unlike the JVM4s. Clean orange and red share similar gain structure to JVM4's crunch orange and red. OD channels are based on JVM4's OD2.”

Also, OD2 (on both the JVM2 and JVM4) is the more modern-voiced channel, OD1 the more classic.
    polotska said:

Also, OD2 (on both the JVM2 and JVM4) is the more modern-voiced channel, OD1 the more classic.
    No, that's what I thought and someone above (Darren) rightly corrected me - OD-1 on the JVM is the modern voiced ie scooped mids, OD-2 is more classic voiced. To make OD-1 work for me I have to push the mids to around 3-4 o'clock! This brings it then to sounding similar to OD-2 ie more of a classic voicing. Rabbea's JVM video on the JVM410H illustrates his fave settings and shows how low the gain is set on OD-1 & OD-2....2-3 o'clock to make the other modes after green useable. I quite like OD-2's green with the gain at 3/4'ers ie 9 o'clock...well, that's at least in the living room - till I get it at band levels I won't really know what my settings are gonna be I guess....
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited April 2017
    No, that’s incorrect—do a quick search on the JVM Forum for posts from Santiago about this if you don’t believe me. There has been much consternation there and elsewhere about the fact that the JVM2 only has the more modern-voiced overdrive channel.

I just sold a JVM210C - because as you say - the OD channel it has is the modern voiced. Now my ears tell me when I play my JVM410H that the OD-1 channel is that same channel. Also see (and hear!) the official Marshall demo man video on said amp....see 2:40 ;)

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    Does yours have the footswitching delay?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    No seems instant and silent. :)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    can you record a patch change, preferably with mic on cab?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    I'm shifting my JVM head cuz of kemper on board. Two out of five main profiles I use on Kemper are...JVM ones :D 
    Great amps for not a lot of money considering what's in the box.
    used it at rehearsal last night - sounded good, first gig this Friday. One of our songs is Queens We Will Rock You - well I tried the solo to that on my OD 2 orange and it was way too off sounding - till I find a better sound for something like that i'll stick with my OD-3, probably get closer from the JVM's crunch channel or OD-1 green with the gain lower....but methinks after a few more gigs/rehearsals with the the JVM i'll have all my sounds as I want them and might be able to retire my OD pedals.

@KrisGee Same here - 2 or 3 JVM profiles that I use also which are very good. OD2 - Green and Orange.

@siraxeman Take a look up on the JVM forum if you haven't already. The modification section is a great area. There are some very easy simple mods that do make a difference for the better IMHO. I did like the JVM in it's standard platform - but the couple of mods I added made it sound and feel better overall.

yeah I'm on there already - the choke mod seems one for the future definitely.

The choke mod was the first one I did - followed by the NFB pot on the back of the amp. I think I installed a 4H choke.. It removed a lot of that synthetic stiff feel it had from stock.
    Are they both simple mods then...I'd still let a techy guy do it for me either way but I guess they won't be expensive if theyre simple mods. 

All the parts were around £30.00 - £40.00. The Choke requires holes in the chassis to bolt it too and for the 2 wires to solder to the board. I also purchased the rubber grommets for the holes.

I went with a pot on the back panel of the amp so I could adjust the NFB. A new hole was drilled for that one.

I think there are a lot of detailed pictures on the JVM forum showing step by step instructions for various - but not all the mods available.

A friend and myself did mine. For an amp tech it's probably no more than an hours work. The most time consuming part for me was the removal of the main board - labelling the leads to make sure they went back to the right place. I also took a lot of pictures for reference.

Definitely made the amp feel and play a lot better.