SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Cameron CCV

SickSquidSickSquid Frets: 152
a long shot as there was one here a couple of years back in left hand drive (117V)
one of those amps I'd like to try out

other Cameron fare considered
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kipplekipple Frets: 354
    edited April 2017
    You would have much better luck on Rigtalk classifieds if you are looking for anything by Mark Cameron.

If you are a member on Rigtalk then it might be worth contacting a member there called EXPcustom as he seems to get quite a few choice camerons for sale and I believe he is friends with Mark Cameron.
    I should also add a word of caution that you should not ever give mark cameron any money just in case you did not already know that.

I have owned a few camerons.
    I like the Cameron modded marshalls much more than the Cameron production amps.

I have had 2 brad king production era Cameron CCV 100 and 1 Mark cameron production era CCV 100 and a Cameron modded marshall SLP with the Aldrich mod and a Cameron modded JCM800 with the Jose HG mod and a Brad king production era Cameron Old Bitch.

The Cameron Modded JCM800 Jose HG was the one I liked the best by a long long way.
    All the other camerons I owned just sounded like nothing more than a high gain El34 based amp whereas the Jose HG sounded like a real marshall and was very versatile.

I have heard quite a few CCV and only one of them really lived up to the hype and that one was owned by Darren on this forum and that CCV was a very early low serial number.
    The one that darren owned was a really great amp but all the other CCV I owned or heard fell way short of the mark especially with regards to playing feel.
    I gave up on the CCV after my third one and I am convinced all three were different circuit designs to the one darren owned.
    The 3 CCV I owned didn't even sound the same as each other.

The Old bitch I bought from brand new and did not even work straight out of the box. I sent it back to brad king and he sold it to someone else without even bothering to repair it.
    Be very careful what you buy with the cameron stuff.

I put peoples heads in horse's beds

• SickSquidSickSquid Frets: 152
    edited April 2017
    thanks for the info, kipple
    it is good to hear your first-hand experience - very enlightening, especially on how the amps feel
    I followed the whole Cameron soap opera for the years that it unfolded and was careful enough not to order one even if I didn't anticipate the twist that Brad King brought to the party

I've been through most of the high gain boutique amps and have a few that I am settled with
    I'm very much settled, although trying a Cameron is one of the last boxes left to tick

I wonder if Darren bought the one that was up here?
    I've not seen him around for a very long time, so suspect he has moved on

I don't expect that one will surface
    I do look on RT and have the advantage of going stateside often so collecting one would be possible

edited April 2017
    SickSquid said:
    it is good to hear your first-hand experience - very enlightening, especially on how the amps feel
    I followed the whole Cameron soap opera for the years that it unfolded and was careful enough not to order one even if I didn't anticipate the twist that Brad King brought to the party

I've been through most of the high gain boutique amps and have a few that I am settled with
    I'm very much settled, although trying a Cameron is one of the last boxes left to tick

I do look on RT and have the advantage of going stateside often so collecting one would be possible

I am good friends with Darren he doesn't own a CCV right now.

I am sure I listed all my camerons here for sale but I was possibly under a different forum name then.
    Darren didn't buy any CCV from me but I have bought from him and I do not recall him buying any other CCV listed here.

I sold one CCV here to Rockmonster and I believe he has now sold it and I also listed another CCV for sale here but that deal fell through and ended up being sold on Ebay and I listed another CCV here and on Rigtalk and on ebay that was previously owned by george lynch and Darren also briefly owned it  but I cannot remember who owns that one now.
    I have also listed my other camerons here when I sold them but didn't even get a sniff from anyone here.

I know what it's like with the modded stuff and the Cameron thing is sometimes an itch that you just HAVE to scratch.
    Find the right one and they are lovely amps and really great fun.

Darren is using a Kemper at the Moment and he has profiles of the Cameron CCV and they sound perfect absolutely spot on and I thought they were instantly recognisable as a CCV and strangely enough I thought the playing feel of the CCV on the Kemper was WAY better than the playing feel of real CCV..

I will keep my eyes open and If I come across any Camerons I will give you a heads up.
    Cheers Ian

• suhrtonesuhrtone Frets: 67
    Would you be interested in this?

Its the actual amp in the video! I imported it from the US ! I have had marshall refurbish the headshell and it now looks like new as it was quite tatty! Also it doesnt have the red knobs as i wasnt a fun !
    cheers
    kipple said:
    I am good friends with Darren he doesn't own a CCV right now.

I am sure I listed all my camerons here for sale but I was possibly under a different forum name then.
    Darren didn't buy any CCV from me but I have bought from him and I do not recall him buying any other CCV listed here.

I sold one CCV here to Rockmonster and I believe he has now sold it and I also listed another CCV for sale here but that deal fell through and ended up being sold on Ebay and I listed another CCV here and on Rigtalk and on ebay that was previously owned by george lynch and Darren also briefly owned it  but I cannot remember who owns that one now.
    I have also listed my other camerons here when I sold them but didn't even get a sniff from anyone here.

I know what it's like with the modded stuff and the Cameron thing is sometimes an itch that you just HAVE to scratch.
    Find the right one and they are lovely amps and really great fun.

Darren is using a Kemper at the Moment and he has profiles of the Cameron CCV and they sound perfect absolutely spot on and I thought they were instantly recognisable as a CCV and strangely enough I thought the playing feel of the CCV on the Kemper was WAY better than the playing feel of real CCV..

I will keep my eyes open and If I come across any Camerons I will give you a heads up.
    Cheers Ian

Very kind of you, Ian

I may have caught Darren in passing on HRI where I was prominent, if it is the same guy
    I have sold to Rockmonster and we spent a fine afternoon together sharing our obsession with tone

I like the cut of the CCV that I've heard - must have been the good ones as you've pointed out the variance in how they are
    I also like the immediacy of the Aldrich mod, although Doug has had his amps done by Suhr for a long time, so the legitimacy of the mod I'm unsure of
    suhrtone said:
    thanks for the offer
    a tad dark sounding for my style I think
    a JMP mod would be more in the ballpark
    I'll likely give it a while to see if a CCV appears before I look into the modded heads
    suhrtone said:

Its the actual amp in the video! I imported it from the US ! I have had marshall refurbish the headshell and it now looks like new as it was quite tatty! Also it doesnt have the red knobs as i wasnt a fun !
    cheers
    That sounds very nice . As the OP is not interested can I ask please what is your asking price. 

• suhrtonesuhrtone Frets: 67
    kipple said:
    suhrtone said:

cheers
    That sounds very nice . As the OP is not interested can I ask please what is your asking price. 
    it cost me 2500 dollars all shipped plus paying for the headshell refurb ! Hows does 2k sound?
    suhrtone said:
    kipple said:
    suhrtone said:

cheers
    it cost me 2500 dollars all shipped plus paying for the headshell refurb ! Hows does 2k sound?
    It sounds great but I will have to pass . thanks anyway

• rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    I didn't like the CCV!
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 168
    SickSquid said:

Hey Mate,

The one up for sale on here the last time was mine. I bought it directly from George Lynch (Dokken) maybe 2.5 - 3yrs ago now.

As mentioned by Ian above they can be hit or miss. The early run CCV's IMHO were the better sounding amps - the later ones (Brad King era) were considerably darker sounding. The early ones had this snarl to them which was great, very much like a more gainy WIZARD amp.

I have not seen an earlier model come up for sale in a long time. They are generally passed around by a certain group of people. Later ones do come up for sale occasionally, but be prepared to pay in the $4-5K price range..

I believe it was Mark Cameron's intention to make the CCV sound like a boosted Marshall JMP. It did that if you kept the gain down to a certain degree. Funnily enough that's what I use myself these days a JMP 2203 with a couple of boosts.

In all honesty it was a fun amp to play - would I have another? probably not. The price they command these days I personally don't think it's worth it..

Also as mentioned by Ian, I also have a Kemper which I run through the loop of my 2203. I have quite a few Cameron CCV profiles. They are profiles of a later CCV which do sound pretty much spot on.

If you are ever in the South Wales area - you are more than welcome to give the Kemper a try with the CCV profiles to give you an idea.. :)

Darren

Hi Darren,

I appreciate the info. Lynch is one of my tone heroes, and the CCV seems to be in that 80s/90s hard rock area that I live in. He sold it, but then he goes through a ton of gear and is looking for different things these days. I saw he listed his 50W Marshall last week, one of the amps he got his best tones with. The $25k asking price hopefully doesn't tell us he is struggling.
    The CCVs built by Cameron seem to be the ones that have that sound. How they got it wrong for the revamp, with Mark's guidance, might make a good conspiracy theory. I've heard some have sent their Brad King Amps to Mark to get them back to original spec.

Cameron has released his own Kemper profiles very recently. I wasn't aware you could feed it through the power section of an amp's loop. Very cool that you have those sounds to play with, and thanks for the offer to try it out if I ever get to your part of the country.

I like the JMP idea, and a Cameron may be too much of a risk as they are all different.
    I'm happy with the sounds I get, so I've no rush to scratch this itch.

I didn't like the CCV!
    Ulp!
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    @Darren ;Funnily enough that's what I use myself these days a JMP 2203 with a couple of boosts.
    Can you share which boosts n what cab / speakers ? 

Apologies to op for hijacking thread
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 168
    JMP220478 said:
    @Darren Funnily enough that's what I use myself these days a JMP 2203 with a couple of boosts.
    Can you share which boosts n what cab / speakers ? 

Apologies to op for hijacking thread
    @JMP220478 sent you a PM as not to clog up @SickSquid thread :)
  • I had a Brad King Atomica. It was good but really just a modded Marshall. Just didn't clean up enough. George from Metro Amps made it. Built like a tank. Can't believe it survived the journey. The packing was crap.I am currently debating a CCV from a friend who doesn't come on forums. It sounds superb and is pretty forgiving which I didn't expect.  He is not 100% on selling so we will see.
    The Atomica sounds like an amp about to blow up, and not in that good way a plexi does.
    A CCV just out of reach. Sigh :astonished: