Audible Recommendations?

monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17661
in Off Topic tFB Trader
I've just finished my latest Audible book and I can't find anything else that excites me.

I mostly read non fiction of a tech, science or businessy bent, but I'm not averse to the occasional bit of fiction.

To give an idea of stuff I like (and for anyone else struggling to find something to listen to) here are a few things I've enjoyed over the last few months:
  • We Are Legion (We are Bob)
  • Creativity Inc
  • Born to Run
  • The Undoing Project
  • Messy
  • Thinking Fast & Slow
  • What We Cannot Know
  • Cryptonomicon
  • Ready Player One
  • The Marshmallow Test
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24562
    Sherlock Holmes, read by Mr Fry.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17661
    tFB Trader
    Sherlock Holmes, read by Mr Fry.
    Wow, you certainly get your money's worth with that one!
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    Cryptonomicon that is the trilogy with 900 pages isn't it? I started that one Christmas that is when i get the chance to indulge in fiction. I put it down when I realised how many pages and how much time I had left. It was so good I could easily read until 4:00a.m. and still not want to sleep. I am a slow reader, if i forget who a character is i have to stop and consider or flip back to check. I've been meaning to get back into that sometime how would you rate it?
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Just finished We are Legion - felt like The Martian with all the calculating going on and started off good but lost its way. I'd highly recommend any of the Peter F Hamilton series tho Void Trilogy is great but all of them are to be honest! I have "read" so many more book since getting Audible - I never have it off!
    tFB Trader
    notanon said:
    Cryptonomicon that is the trilogy with 900 pages isn't it? I started that one Christmas that is when i get the chance to indulge in fiction. I put it down when I realised how many pages and how much time I had left. It was so good I could easily read until 4:00a.m. and still not want to sleep. I am a slow reader, if i forget who a character is i have to stop and consider or flip back to check. I've been meaning to get back into that sometime how would you rate it?

It's a great book, I highly recommend it.
    It is however hugely long and stupendously complex.

tFB Trader
    Vaiai said:
    Just finished We are Legion - felt like The Martian with all the calculating going on and started off good but lost its way. I'd highly recommend any of the Peter F Hamilton series tho Void Trilogy is great but all of them are to be honest! I have "read" so many more book since getting Audible - I never have it off!

I really enjoyed it. It doesn't have anything you might call a proper ending but I'm going to pick up the sequel when it comes out at the end of the month.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 994
    I'm not an avid Audible user but what I have heard I have enjoyed, I usually listen to the samples, to see whether or not I like the narrator.  The only things I have listened to are probably not your cup of tea:

The Beatles Tune In, All These Years (Mark Lewisohn) - both parts total 44 hours.  Fantastically researched & really well put together.

The Road To Little Dribbling (Bill Bryson) - 14 hours, very good & passed the time when I was walking the dog, although I usually use Desret Island Discs for that now.

The Year Of Living Danishly (Helen Russell) - 10 hours, wanted to see what an English persons viewpoint of moving there was, there is a part of me that would love to pack everything up & move to Scandinavia.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28650
    notanon said:
    Cryptonomicon that is the trilogy with 900 pages isn't it?
    No - that's the Baroque cycle. Cryptonomicon was the precursor set a few hundred years later.

I loved Cryptonomicon but found the Baroque cycle a lot harder going. The Diamond Age was probably my favourite of his.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I like autobiography.

One of the most enjoyable on Audible for me, surprisingly, was the one by Arnie.

I can get turned off a rockstar when he writes about his drug-use or shagging-about, but Duff's autobiography wasn't bad.