LazyJ20 options?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
If I were to buy a Lazy J20 what options should I get?

VAC?
Reverb?
Trem?

is there any affect on the core tone by including the options?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    Though I'm no expert (I've never tried one) - I'd go 'fully loaded'. If you ever came to sell, whatever option the buyer may want would be covered.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited April 2017
    If you're ordering new from the chap that makes then, can't quite think of his name, lovely bloke though, I'd go fully loaded.

And, no, I don't believe there's any tonal impact by including the modules. With hindsight, I could probably do without the VAC on mine.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    edited April 2017
    All three ideally, but imo VAC>Reverb>Trem

Tonewise turning the effects off from the footswitch totally bypasses the modules. VAC will have some effect on very high-max settings but if you play at home then you will need it

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    VAC is an utmost IMO. Reverb and trem can achrived by the great pedals choices on offer. Alternatively you can always add them st a later date. At least the reverb 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1468
    Having had one, I'd just get the VAC
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11889
    Get it all.

The VAC is the first on the list and to be honest, it is also the cheapest add on.

The Reverb is the expensive add on and it is also nicer than the Trem.  The Trem is okay but a little hard to use.  
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited April 2017
    OK thanks. Do ai need VAC even for playing with a clean sound at home?

Why should I go for a Lazy J over a Flynn, Fender 57 or Edge version? What is it that gives the J20 an advantage?

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822

Why should I go for a Lazy J over a Flynn, Fender 57 or Edge version? What is it that gives the J20 an advantage?
    That's the million pound question everyone would like to know the answer to :) Personal choices and all that :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    No, probably not - you'll only need it if you want to induce some breakup at lower volumes. I rarely use the VAC at home and never when using the amp live.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    simonk said:
    No, probably not - you'll only need it if you want to induce some breakup at lower volumes. I rarely use the VAC at home and never when using the amp live.
    Interesting, I still use the VAC when playing live as I tend to run the volumes high for breakup (turn down guitar volume for clean). Without the VAC the stage level would still be too high.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423

Fundamentally it's a tweed deluxe. The differences between them will be somewhat marginal. Assuming you like tweed deluxes then all will be good, though the Lazy J will hold value better (if you can ship when selling - see classifieds of late). 

simonk said:
    Interesting, I still use the VAC when playing live as I tend to run the volumes high for breakup (turn down guitar volume for clean). Without the VAC the stage level would still be too high.
    Yeah, sounds like I'm in the minority judging by the thread this far though.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3173
    tFB Trader

is there any affect on the core tone by including the options?
    Yes there is, but it's subtle and without being able to A/B an unloaded next to a loaded, you wouldn't notice the difference. The loaded J20s have an extra B+ filter stage for the modules, whereas the unloaded runs that extra stage in parallel with the preamp stage (16uf+22uf) for a slightly stiffer feel.

VAC?
    I thought VAC was standard on all J20s now?
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    I thought the current forum consensus this month was if you're after a Lazy J the options you need are a Louis Electric Columbia ;)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited April 2017
    nickb_boy said:
    I thought the current forum consensus this month was if you're after a Lazy J the options you need are a Louis Electric Columbia

It's a Princeton style clone with a distinctly Blackface tone, how does that even compare to a Lazy J20?

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Whichever options you choose, it'll be in the classifieds a month later.
     :) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9580
    VAC is a must.

I personally wouldn't order the verb and trem... both can be bettered by pedals, imho, and the trem can have a wee bit too much 'whump' in what can be a bass heavy amp at times.

Still, a great amp nonetheless, despite all the naysayers ;)
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    and get a manual I would

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom