With which album did your love for AC/DC take a fatal hit ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22970
    Serious answer this time... I'd go along with the common view that they took a dip in quality after Back in Black, although I still really like For Those About to Rock.  I don't think they really got back to decent form until Stiff Upper Lip and Black Ice.  The Razors Edge and Ballbreaker had their moments, but I don't think songs like Thunderstruck or Moneytalks (or anything recent) have the power and simplicity of the early stuff, they sound thin and fiddly to me.

But the real answer to the actual question is, my love for the band took a fatal hit with Rock or Bust.  It's "bust" guys, call it a day.  Tired-sounding album and now too many band members have gone.  Take the hint, time to go and play golf or something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3083
    In a world where Timmy Mallett was allowed to make a record I can't believe we're discussing this. 

If you find yourself not enjoying a Dacca record have a couple of pints. There are peaks and troughs but we should celebrate that they ever existed at all. 

I like FOTW and FOTS less than the others but I didn't live it in realtime so I never bailed out,
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Philly_Q said:
    axisus said:
    When Brian Johnston came in.

He should never have given up the cricket commentaries.
    Ha ha yes!
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Fly on the Wall

absolute shocker
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    It's always the same for me with any band...Love the early stuff but my interest dwindles as time goes on. :s
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Back In Black. I've never been able to get away with that new bloke singing. Bon Scott all the way!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22970
    Rabs said:
    Oh god.  Now I want to adopt them all.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72435
    I never loved AC/DC, although I did have Highway To Hell. The album that killed any further interest in them was Back In Black - two or three good songs, but that awful dirge at the end put me off them for good. It's a shame as that album also features possibly the greatest hard rock guitar sound ever recorded.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randellarandella Frets: 4184
    ICBM said:
    that album also features possibly the greatest hard rock guitar sound ever recorded.
    @ICBM I'll agree with you there. What were the amps by then, do you reckon? Had they moved from the Plexis to the Master Volumes yet?

As for the rest of the post, we'll have to differ ;)
  • None of the albums dealt a fatal blow, although I came to them very, very late in the party, so I wasn't a first-day buyer of Flick of the Switch or whatever. 
    The last few albums aren't bad, it's just some the 80's ones after BiB that let the side down. Blow Up Your Video has some great stuff on it. 
    FWIW I don't rate Bon Scott and actually prefer Johnno. Bon had charisma and all that, but he wasn't a great singer. 

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3083
    Some of the web talk is that there's a bit of 18w and 20w Lead and Bass action on BIB as well as the usual Marshalls.

It's a fantastic record imo. You shook me all night long has one of my all time favourite solos. Sides one and two kick off with 3 absolute classics each imo. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72435
    The studio photos show both MV and non-MV JMPs. From the sound I would guess you're hearing a lot of MV - it has more bite and crunch than you can get from a non-MV, even full up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Philly_Q said:
    axisus said:
    When Brian Johnston came in.

He should never have given up the cricket commentaries.
    oh, stop it Anggers

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    peteri said:
    Fly on the Wall

absolute shocker

I quite liked it at the time - but then I like JP's Turbo and the snare sound on St Anger so I have unconventional tastes, it would seem.

That said, Fly On The Wall was the last AC/DC album I bought when it was released.  I've not heard much recent stuff but what I did hear of Black Ice was the sound of a band just going through motions.