First guitar you ever PLAYED/HANDLED

What's Hot

Comments

• My mate's big brother came home from college with a Columbus black Les Paul copy - it was in the downstairs room where we used to play records together, and brother left strict instructions that no-one was to touch it. Well, I couldn't play it, but I was transfixed just by holding it. Eventually I saved up and bought a Zenta something-or-other.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3083
    First acoustic was my own Orpheus from a catalogue clearance shop. Totally unplayable. 

First electric was either a Marlin Sidewinder ordered from our catalogue by my mother's friend for her son (he's an avid Ibanez collector now and has a couple of very nice 80s Kramers). I had 10 mins on it - couldn't understand why I couldn't instantly play Apache.

Or I had a mate with a two pickup Strat shaped Burns from the 60s. Very knackered but it was an electric guitar! I managed to borrow this for a while but had to give it back. It was enough to get me going.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    The first guitar I ever played was a cheap, nylon-strung acoustic at school which had an action you could drive a train under. This, coupled with the attitude from the music department, put me off learning for years.
     The first guitar I ever picked up seriously was the Kawai S170 that my uncle gave me. I still have it.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24825
    TheMarlin said:
    Mark Kings Jaydee Bass. 
    I knew there was something about you....
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5159
    My dad's Yamaha FG-something acoustic. First I played it like a slide guitar with the spring from a bulldog clip (not something I'd recommend), then I learned to play it properly.

Shortly afterwards my dad borrowed a Squier strat from a friend, which I got a good deal of mileage from before my parents bought me my own electric guitar.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    spark240 said:
    A strat copy....satellite ?....or something like that,,...Harryseven will remember  it...in fact he's still got his first guitar I think !

i used to go with my dad to his mates pharmacist shop, and the guy gave me the guitar to keep me occupied, ...he eventually gave it me to keep, had some amplifier headphones with it .

I'm sure your first guitar was a sunburst Antoria Strat copy.

i recall you also had a Vox AC15, a Yamaha G100 2x12 combo and a Carlsbro 50 Top at various points around that time?

Re. my first electric - Kay K32. Still around somewhere!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Hofner Club 60 .I did try playing an old nylon string spanish but it was so poor as to be unplayable so the Club was the first
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    Don't know the brand but was a friend's nylon string acoustic, I must have been 15, I remember it being impossible to play, had it 2 weeks ago home and picked it up about 6 times.  It hurt so much to play I didn't touch a guitar for a LONG time thinking all guitars much be that hard I might as well won't bother.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7884
    TheMarlin said:
    Mark Kings Jaydee Bass. 
    I knew there was something about you....
    My friends father worked for Jaydee. My friend and I spent a lot of time there from age ten onward.  
    I also played one of Toni Iommi's SG's, and a guitar built for Nick Kershaw. 
    I ended up buying a custom made Flying V bass that was built for Black Sabbath, but cancelled at the last moment. It was finished and ready to go.  what I paid wouldn't have covered the cost of the paint. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader
    The first guitar I ever picked up was my uncle's steel string acoustic at my grandparents' house in about 1964. I was five at the time and mortified when I dropped a plectrum into the sound hole.

I don't remember the make of the guitar but I do remember his friend's guitar that was also there (which i was shown but not allowed to touch), a reverse bodied Gibson Firebird. There can't have been many of those in the UK at that time?
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    edited April 2017
    My high school had a dozen or so Suzuki classical and one term we did guitar lessons. First one I owned was an eko Rio Grande iv
  • A white Encore Strat which I got for my bday or xmas when I was about 15. This was my first guitar; I don't remember ever playing one before this and did not know of anyone else with a guitar at the time. It was a sheltered life ;)

• My uncle's Washburn RS 10v in like a toffee colour.. very santana-esque
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1210
    I had a crappy old acoustic when I was 9 or 10 that my Mum bought from her Freemans catalogue. The first guitar I held and thought seriously that I might one day be able to play it was my mate's Grant Strat in 1984..
    Link to my trading feedback
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    My Dad's Yamaha acoustic. Some kind of 70s affordable model. Still sounds good for what it is. 
  • My brother's Eko Ranger. At the time I thought of it as 'ordinary' and a bit difficult to play. 25 years later, my brother still having the guitar, I had a strum on it and found it really sweet.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    When I was 5 or 6 years old the next door neighbour gave me a 'guitar'. It had a small-ish guitar-shape body but was strung rather like a mandoline. Despite lacking two or three of its eight strings I loved the sound of it and just strummed it endlessly, which my family didn't seem to particularly appreciate.

It was abandoned when I was given a plastic saxophone a couple of years later. My older brother was heavily into sax music and at junior school I was trying my best to sound like my favourite, Earl Bostic :D  Sax remained my passion until the second year of high school when a classmate got a non-cutaway archtop guitar which looked so cool, particularly as I was heavily into rockabilly by then. I also noticed that whenever he got the guitar out girls would flock around. So I had to have one. Luckily he lost interest in guitar so I borrowed his for a few months until getting my own guitar for my 13th birthday. I've never looked back.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    edited April 2017
    My dad had a Lado guitar from late 70's early 80s. that was made in Canada that he used to keep in the case behind the sofa. 

But wasn't until later when I bought a cheap nylon strung acoustic from Argos which then led to token Squire strat,/ 10 watt amp/ lead, gig bag deal from Rose Morris in Denmark street.
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    Scraped my thumb nail down the wound strings on my Dad's old nylon string acoustic that he never used trying to make it sound like a big distorted electric.

After a few weeks of this he gave me a chord book and told me to keep it in my room.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Friend of my dad's 
    Shergold Masqurader. 
    Left handed naturally
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.