Fridge full of jars with 80% left and past their BB date ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    Yes, i threw away a jar of raspberry jam that went out of date in 2013 this week... wtf
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16730
    i drank a beer from 1986 a few weeks ago.   Trust your eyes and nose.

also, powdered mustard lasts forever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72440
    edited April 2017
    +1. If it looks and smells good I'll eat it.

I purposely buy discounted stuff that has a day to go on the "sell by" date in the local shop.

Throwing out good food just because the "best before date" - which is *not* a "bad after date" - has been passed really annoys me. Half the time it's deliberately early precisely to encourage you to throw it out and buy more anyway.

Ages ago I had a big argument with my kids' nursery about it - I'd sent one of them in with a yoghurt which "expired" that day, and they binned it rather than give it to her. After that I used to send her in with it in a tupperware pot :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Emp_Fab said:
    I'm not worried about the safety aspect.  Who wants to cook / eat stuff that's tastes stale etc though ?

I'm just moaning about the waste.  E.g.  I'll often buy an ingredient because I need two teaspoons of it, but can only get a '50 teaspoon' jar.

Edit: AND that 80% goes well past its 'use by' date.

What I'm getting at is that recipes call for, I dunno, 'two tablespoons of creme fraiche', then in three weeks time you have to throw out a tub of creme fraiche that is still 90% full because you're not cooking with crreme fraiche ever other meal.

I don't know what the solution is.  I don't know why I posted this actually because there is no solution short of 'don't cook things that have ingredients you don't use regularly'.

I get this with recipes for my son at school with requests like "1 tablespoon of black treacle" Every parent ends up buying a tin of treacle and sending them to school with it because how the fuck do you transport a single tablespoon of treacle?
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Emp_Fab said:
    I'm not worried about the safety aspect.  Who wants to cook / eat stuff that's tastes stale etc though ?

I'm just moaning about the waste.  E.g.  I'll often buy an ingredient because I need two teaspoons of it, but can only get a '50 teaspoon' jar.

Edit: AND that 80% goes well past its 'use by' date.

What I'm getting at is that recipes call for, I dunno, 'two tablespoons of creme fraiche', then in three weeks time you have to throw out a tub of creme fraiche that is still 90% full because you're not cooking with crreme fraiche ever other meal.

I don't know what the solution is.  I don't know why I posted this actually because there is no solution short of 'don't cook things that have ingredients you don't use regularly'.

I get this with recipes for my son at school with requests like "1 tablespoon of black treacle" Every parent ends up buying a tin of treacle and sending them to school with it because how the fuck do you transport a single tablespoon of treacle?
    Make bonfire toffee with the remaining stuff - dead easy to make.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    TheMarlin said:
    My wife is obsessed with sell by dates.  I'd say 20% of the food we buy ends up in the bin because of sell by dates.  
    I've argued the toss for years.  I just let her get on with it now....   not worth the argument.  
    Are you me?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ