H9 Greatest Hits question.

What's Hot
professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
Hi all, finally I am the proud owner of an H9, with thanks to @Fiftyshadesofjay (cheers mate)
so curently it's a core model with purchased algo's

H910/945
Vintage Delay
Tape Delay
Chorus
Flanger
Phaser
Hall
UltraTap

Any suggestions for some good extras to bolt on to it?
Im a pretty straight forward player with regard to fx, meaning I use a lot but nothing really 'out there' just the Rock/Metal staples really, I'm not a huge ambient player.

@bintytwanger suggested ModEchoVerb as a good multi, but I'm torn between that and SpaceTime???

only getting 5 mins a day to test each algo is a bit awkward to make a good decision, by the time I've cycled through a couple of presets and dialled in something usable it's over.

Suggestion??

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7431
    A few you might be able to find a use for

Sculpt : multi-band distortion https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/algorithms/sculpt

Parametric EQ and compression : 
    https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/algorithms/eq-compressor ;

and all of the basic modulation effects are really good - trem, rotary, phaser, flanger

ModEchoVerb is a nice one to have though I agree.

And you have my fave delays there already. 

Interesting that you are leaning toward Spacetime as I saw that as an ambient player's tool primarily (although I may well be wrong) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105

TimmyO said:
    A few you might be able to find a use for : 

Sculpt : multi-band distortion https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/algorithms/sculpt

Parametric EQ and compression : https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/algorithms/eq-compressor ;

and all of the basic modulation effects are really good - trem, rotary, phaser, flanger

ModEchoVerb is a nice one to have though I agree.

And you have my fave delays there already. 

Interesting that you are leaning toward Spacetime as I saw that as an ambient player's tool primarily (although I may well be wrong) 
    Hmmm interesting, when I previewed SpaceTime I set the reverb quite low and used the mod and delay to give me a 'Petrucci' clean tone, I like how you can set the delay and verb in parallel so it actually doesn't get too washy. 
    See, as I said, what do I know :-)  
    Red ones are better. 
  • Are you using it in front of your amp or in the loop?
    Are you using it in front of your amp or in the loop?
    Both. 
    Depending on the patch. 

Octaves, Phasers, Flangers etc in the front.
    Delays, chorus and verbs in the loop
  • I like the normal digital delay and mod delay. Are you using a mixer for the loop utilising the kill dry?

I like the normal digital delay and mod delay. Are you using a mixer for the loop utilising the kill dry?

No just routing it pre/post 4cm, my fx loops are series so I can't use kill dry.

I was thinking about the digital delay, but I've found the delay in the H910/949 is absolutely killer, pristine, if I want modulated I just go to the vintage delay, which is more than enough for me, tbh I'm kinda struggling to see how I might use the UltraTap tho???

• I use mine in the loop only but use a mixer. Never used Ultra Tap. I sometimes just use the delay in the 910 also.I would play with the other delays for the 5mins you are allowed.They all do too much.Lol. Great unit.
    I use mine in the loop only but use a mixer. Never used Ultra Tap. I sometimes just use the delay in the 910 also.I would play with the other delays for the 5mins you are allowed.They all do too much.Lol. Great unit.
    Yeah, I'm loving it, can't wait for a practice.
  • Not thinking of adding Blackhole? It's fantastic and you can have cavernous reverbs without losing note clarity even at higher wet mix settings.
    Not thinking of adding Blackhole? It's fantastic and you can have cavernous reverbs without losing note clarity even at higher wet mix settings.
    Oooh now you got me thinking, I'm not sure I would have much use for a verb bigger than Hall, or the one in SpaceTime.

Does sound great tho, we are a 3 piece so I guess I need to fill more space than the 2 guitar line ups I've been playing in over most of my playing career.
    I've found a nice little site where some guys are posting examples of presets, someone's put up a preset mimicking the Wet reverb pedal, using the Hall Algo.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352

Blackhole excellent. You may also be surprised by the Crushstation algorithm. A lot of people dismissed it as a poor distortion/fuzz, but at gig volumes its epic. I easily got a good Royal Blood fuzz with octaves sound and its a very 'powerful' gain if that makes sense?

Blackhole excellent. You may also be surprised by the Crushstation algorithm. A lot of people dismissed it as a poor distortion/fuzz, but at gig volumes its epic. I easily got a good Royal Blood fuzz with octaves sound and its a very 'powerful' gain if that makes sense?

Oooh it's got octaves??

hmmm
    I think I'm going to get Blackhole next. 

I really wanted Crushstation to be great - the EQ page is good, and the fuzz/gated noises are huge but not a good general OD 
    Red ones are better. 
    @TimmyO - I'd agree. OD it is not. Huge Fuzz it most certainly is.
    TimmyO said:
    I really wanted Crushstation to be great - the EQ page is good, and the fuzz/gated noises are huge but not a good general OD 
    @TimmyO - I'd agree. OD it is not. Huge Fuzz it most certainly is.
    How is Sculpt? 
    The online demos sound absolutely dire.  
    Not tried Sculpt yet. But saying that, I've not found too many demos of H9 algorithms that have wowed me. Which is mad given the actual quality of them.
    Not tried Sculpt yet. But saying that, I've not found too many demos of H9 algorithms that have wowed me. Which is mad given the actual quality of them.
    Yeah the main reason I got one was because I figured the guys I respect (Pete thorn, Dave wiener etc) use them and seem to rave about it. 

They are right, it's a phenomenal unit, the fx are light years ahead if anything I've ever tried. 

But sculpt was not helped by having Vernon Reid demo it.