Stupid earthing question

clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
When I measure earth from a point on the PCB in my amp to chassis I get a reading of 0.2ohms.

So, stupid question, is this to be expected?

My brain says it should be *zero*, or does even a little earthing connector lead mean there will always be some minor residual resistance?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

0.2 Ohms is actually quite low! Most DMMeters will show a minimum reading of around 0.5 R due to lead and other resistance. If you really want to measure very low resistances you need a special meter with 4 wires (sense current and read wires)

From a SAFETY point of view the chassis to plug earth pin should be no more than about 1 Ohm but the only proper way to test this is with a PAT unit as a high current needs to pass.

As a bit of (probably useless!) information, if checking transformer windings (ALL disconnected from power of course!) you get a silly reading or one that won't settle, short out some or all of the other windings.

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72494
    If you touch the probes together do you still get the same 0.2 ohm?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    ICBM said:
    If you touch the probes together do you still get the same 0.2 ohm?
    Er, just checked and er yes I do (sheepish grin)

Thanks, in the 15 years I've had this meter I've never seen that :)

And thanks for your thoughts too @ecc83, now I'm wondering if the reading should be higher! :)  My meter is a big Maplins multi jobbie, nothing expensive I assure you :)