Marshall Lead 12 - what?!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    clarkefan said:
    I was thinking I'd use the existing Line Out socket, save drilling?
    Not easy, it's a complicated arrangement using a stereo jack so you get headphones when the plug is halfway in and line out when it's fully in. You'd need to modify the PCB to make it work. Much easier just to cut the speaker cable at the chassis outlet and do it there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Cool thank you, really helpful! :)
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    Personally I’d hesitate to put a 12" in a Lead 12 (or even the somewhat larger Lead 20) only because they made a number of 1x12s in the same series, e.g. the 5010 (single channel) and the 5210 (split channel) which don’t sell for all that much more than a decent quality 12" Celestion!

Very nice range of amps, from the Lead 12 to the Lead 100 MOSFET 3210.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, funnily enough pulled my Lead 12 out yesterday = it has some funny crackling thing goign on which I think is the power switch so just ordered another one. Mine had point to point wiring from pots inside when I checked yesterday but I have a feeling that might be one of my own mods! Just can't remember. Lovely sound I have put a speaker jack in the back and tried it this morning through a 1 x 12" cab with a Celestion Sidewinder n it which was used for the bigger brother Lead 75 model which I am currently turning into a head. Actually, a lot of the distortion seems to come from the power section, turning the master volume up full and then playing with the gain seems to give some different tonalities from just playign with the gain settings. I'm going to use this as my office amp for noodling between boring work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I remember trying the daddy, the mosfet lead 100, in a cash converters. Really great sounding amp. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    No, the daddy is the 5150 - yes, it's a Marshall! - 150W 2x12" combo. It came out before the Peavey too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I had a Mosfet Lead 100 for a while. Traded it in against a first generation POD when they came out. The POD is still in use :)
  • ICBM said:
    No, the daddy is the 5150 - yes, it's a Marshall! - 150W 2x12" combo. It came out before the Peavey too...

Wow, never knew that! Cripes, must be loud, the 100 was brutally loud...