Snooker: great game to play, but very poor TV viewing

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4985
watched some snooker on TV. Amazing skill shown by the players, astonishing cue ball control etc, yet I think the game is played at such a high skill level that it has become boring to watch. I like playing the game but there is only so much perfection that I can watch before losing interest and switching off.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16726
    I quite like watching it, i find it quite soothing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You'd flipping LOVE watching me play, then! No perfection on show, whatsoever 

• DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    I watch while I'm mindless noodling. A challenge to see if I get bored with my playing or snooker.

Also, waiting for a streaker!  You just don't get them anymore.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11314
    It was better in black and white.
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    edited April 2017
    "Griffiths is snookered on the brown, which, for those of you watching in black and white, is the ball directly behind the pink. ” — Ted Lowe

I find snooker fairly hypnotic to watch, especially if it's someone like O'Sullivan or Trump.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    If Ronnie is playing, then it's never boring. In the world of snooker, he's probably the only decent character left.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I love chilling out in front of the snooker with a cuppa :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    Yep, I like watching it. It's good t.v. 

The snooker shoot out last month was great fun to watch too, although not exactly top drawer snooker. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2976
    They should put it on the radio, works for cricket.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    blobb said:
    They should put it on the radio, works for cricket.
    Probably be more interesting in all fairness. I have a highest break of 1, I'm pretty good.
  • Our singer loves it.

He's also colour blind 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    Tavernor said:

I find snooker fairly hypnotic to watch, especially if it's someone like O'Sullivan or Trump.

Fake Cues ;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I like watching the snooker, I'd like to see the days of the huge screw back shots before it became a bit robotic. I can still watch it for hours though.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    beed84 said:
    If Ronnie is playing, then it's never boring. In the world of snooker, he's probably the only decent character left.
    He's so flawed though that it can be cringeworthy at times. He's been giving two word responses in interviews, speaking like a robot and singing Wonderwall lyrics. No doubt he is the most naturally talented player though.

I play snooker competitively (at club level) but rarely watch it on the TV. I can't be arsed in the same way I don't watch 5 day test matches these days either, or darts.

I grew up in the 80's though when there were only 3 channels and snooker was prime time viewing. Even my Nan watched it! 

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I haven't watched snooker for years (9 this chrimbo). Last tournament was the post Christmas one when I'd had surgery and couldn't do much. At the time I also watched The Hills though, so was terminally bored.

Dad on the other hand watched all day and night.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    The players and personalities in 80s snooker is far removed from the boredom in snooker 2017.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    Iamnobody said:
    beed84 said:
    He's so flawed though that it can be cringeworthy at times. He's been giving two word responses in interviews, speaking like a robot and singing Wonderwall lyrics. No doubt he is the most naturally talented player though.

True, but that's part of what makes him interesting. And he's had is fair share of issues, which have no doubt added to his bizarre behaviour (his autobiographies are worth a read for more insight). Not only that, although he doesn't win all of the time, right now he's like a big fish in a small pond - I'm surprised he's not bored with the 'competition' he's up against. 70s, 80s, 90s and early 00s snooker, that's where it was at.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2976
    ...and nobody has done the easy pink / difficult brown gag. What has the world come to, eh?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • randellarandella Frets: 4184
    The modern game has become a bit stale. Aside from Ronnie, if they wore masks you could be watching any of 'em and you wouldn't know the difference.

Anyway, always an excuse to wheel out this gem...

https://youtu.be/LPeeDeAuOFI
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22177
    beed84 said:
    True, but that's part of what makes him interesting. And he's had is fair share of issues, which have no doubt added to his bizarre behaviour (his autobiographies are worth a read for more insight). Not only that, although he doesn't win all of the time, right now he's like a big fish in a small pond - I'm surprised he's not bored with the 'competition' he's up against. 70s, 80s, 90s and early 00s snooker, that's where it was at.
    The pond isn't small. Trump's had a good season, Selby is a high quality player, Robertson and Bingham are rather good as well. The quality is far higher than twenty years ago and will only continue to do so now China is well invested in the game.