Splitters - WARNING Noobie question :)

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
I've been told that a splitter or something like a SUM to MONO device is a powered device i.e. Active one doesn't need to have a phase switch. Is that true? Doesn't seem correct to me ... but I am a novice about these things LOL
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72414
    You can have active or passive ones. Whether it needs a phase switch depends on what you're trying to split or sum, into what.

There's also the question of whether it needs a ground lift switch...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    ICBM said:
    You can have active or passive ones. Whether it needs a phase switch depends on what you're trying to split or sum, into what.

There's also the question of whether it needs a ground lift switch...

Split the signal into two amps @ICBM . Are their other scenarios except for a wet dry amp set up etc? On my sum to mono splitter it does have a ground lift and a phase switch, not that I've had to use them yet though. I ask as I've seen some splitters not having either of these and thought it would be quite rudimentary?
    hotpickups said:

Split the signal into two amps @ICBM . Are their other scenarios except for a wet dry amp set up etc?
    Two amps - amp and DI - parallel FX chains.

You will need the option of ground lift and phase with two amps, to be sure it won't cause trouble - although sometimes it will be fine without. Amp and DI, probably not necessary since any decent DI box will have ground lift, some have phase, and most desks also have phase. Parallel FX chains - depends.

hotpickups said:

On my sum to mono splitter it does have a ground lift and a phase switch, not that I've had to use them yet though. I ask as I've seen some splitters not having either of these and thought it would be quite rudimentary?
    Is your sum to mono active or passive? If it's passive you can probably use it backwards as a splitter. It's likely to be transformer-based and they work in either direction. If it's active, you can't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

It's active the one I have @ICBM i.e. needs power to it 
    Bugger…

Although, you can still use it to fix phase or ground-loop issues if you simply use it in *one* of the signal paths, after a simple splitter like a stereo/dual-output pedal.

ICBM said:
    Bugger…

Although, you can still use it to fix phase or ground-loop issues if you simply use it in *one* of the signal paths, after a simple splitter like a stereo/dual-output pedal.

Bugger? That's good isn't it @ICBM ? For my use I.e. Stereo set up?
    Maybe. What exactly are you linking to what?

ICBM said:
    My lazy j20 and my RD Dualist which is a 30 watt valve amp 
    ICBM said:
    Just from the guitar?

ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    Just from the guitar?
    Well through my timeline and möbius mainly 
    hotpickups said:

That should be easy. Connect the last pedal to both amps using the stereo outputs. If you get hum or a phase problem, put the sum to mono box between the pedal and one amp (probably doesn't matter which one but you can try either) using the input with the ground lift and phase switches.

ICBM said:
    hotpickups said:

That should be easy. Connect the last pedal to both amps using the stereo outputs. If you get hum or a phase problem, put the sum to mono box between the pedal and one amp (probably doesn't matter which one but you can try either) using the input with the ground lift and phase switches.
    Wel I got the box so I can easily switch from one amp or two depending on the venue :)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    What you really want to do is put the mobius in the loop of the TL and then from the TL out to stereo.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    What you really want to do is put the mobius in the loop of the TL and then from the TL out to stereo.
    I think that's what I've done james 
    hotpickups said:

Wel I got the box so I can easily switch from one amp or two depending on the venue :)
    Ah - I remember now :), it's because these pedals don't have a mono output option if you're using stereo inputs.

So for one amp, use the sum to mono box as normal between the pedal and whichever amp you're using. For two amps, use it as above in the event of phase/ground problems - if you don't get any, you don't need to. That should cover all the options I think, no need for any extra kit.

ICBM said:
    hotpickups said:

Ah - I remember now :), it's because these pedals don't have a mono output option if you're using stereo inputs.

So for one amp, use the sum to mono box as normal between the pedal and whichever amp you're using. For two amps, use it as above in the event of phase/ground problems - if you don't get any, you don't need to. That should cover all the options I think, no need for any extra kit.
    Yep that's it. That's why I got it :) 

I just wondered why some Sum to Mono boxes don't have the phase or ground lift switches included. I thought it would be quite standard for the possible eventuality :)
    Probably because unless you're going to use them for more complex routing, it isn't necessary. eg if you're just going to combine typical stereo outputs from one device into mono, there will never be phase or ground issues. Having them just lets you use it for other more odd stuff ;).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom