Recommend an alternative to BT Home Hub 5 for Infinity broadband

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5521
I'm paying BT a fair whack to get 80Mbps Infinity broadband but almost daily my WiFi signal drops significantly, causing buffering issues. A reboot of the HH5 fixes it but it doesn't last for long. HH5 is at the front door and all devices are connected wirelessly. I have it configured to be on the best channels.
Reading up on it recently, HH5 seems to be a pos and known for WiFi signal loss.

What all-in-one alternative could I go for? Amazon reviews are not proving to be the best source of info!

Ta

http://i.imgur.com/f22jpyo.png

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    edited April 2017
    I got one of these to replace my HH5
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Connections-UK-Archer-VR900/dp/B01132GCP0
    the wifi is much, much better. Also it's far more configurable if that interests you. It doesn't drop out randomly either which is why most people replace the HH5 as far as anecdotes suggest.
    Edit to say: The wifi signal on the TP link is actually much stronger than the HH5 even when it was working.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5521
    Sounds good @FX_Munkee but my word that's a lot of money!
    That's the problem with BT infinity, not many VDSL routers avaliable. You could just get a Wireless access point to replace the wifi in the HH5, if that's the only problem you have with it. Then just turn off the wifi in the HH5
    Mine would drop the WAN connection regularly as well as being poor at wifi and I'm a control freak :)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    I got a TP-Link TD-W9980 router.  I only run 2.4Ghz don't bother with 5Ghz.  I also replaced one of the aerials on the router with one of these directional antenna but I'm not convinced it has made any real difference - in my perpetual quest to get a good wifi signal in the downstairs loo.

I also saved a lot of money switching from BT to Plusnet when my minimum term expired on BT Infinity.  Plusnet resell the BT service so quality-wise you're getting the same thing.  But the Plusnet router, while looking just like the HomeHub 5 is even worse - which is what prompted me to buy the TP-Link router.  You can save even more money on Plusnet by participating in their referrals scheme.
    By the way - if anyone is thinking of migrating to Plusnet - if you use this link then I get a referral discount - it won't cost you anything: Plusnet
    I'm not quite ready to move provider, although it's something that'll be on the cards if changing the modem/router doesn't work! That TP-Link @revsorg linked to came up last night when I was googling. Great reviews then some duff ones. Better price though.

Oddly enough, anything wrong with the newer BT Smart Hub? It seems to be well reviewed but that's not allowing for long term use.
    FFS. It's dropped again to 1.13Mbps!
    What speed do you get when you plug directly in to the HH5 with a network cable?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    It's the lack of a proper Firewall & MAC authorization for WiFi that grinds my gears with BT's junk
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7886
    I have similar issues with my HomeHub.  Kids constantly drop games on Fifa, wifi signal disappears, then reappears .  
    Sorry to state the obvious but it's either the signal coming into your house, or it's the router that's the problem.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    BT tested the socket and it was running at 80Mbps, so looks like it's the wifi signal that's at fault. When I reboot the HH5 broadcasts a strong connection up in the 70s then drops. And drops.

I haven't tried connecting via cable. Not even sure if I have a cable!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    This doesn't sound good - I just complained to BT about our Infinity problems, and they are sending a HH5 to replace our old HH3 :(
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    I can't recommend a particular model for BT infinity but I'd suggest having a look at Draytek's product range - not the cheapest options out there but I've been much happier with network performance at home since swapping out a home hub 3.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    I have one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AVM-FRITZ-Box-International-Integrated/dp/B00H3IC3FC

It is ridiculously good- but for £200 it should be.
    DiscoStu said:
    BT tested the socket and it was running at 80Mbps, so looks like it's the wifi signal that's at fault. When I reboot the HH5 broadcasts a strong connection up in the 70s then drops. And drops.

When it drops you need to log into the HH5 and check the line stats to see if it's just the wifi dropping or the actual WAN connection.
    FX_Munkee said:
    DiscoStu said:

When it drops you need to log into the HH5 and check the line stats to see if it's just the wifi dropping or the actual WAN connection.
    OK,  I'll try that and see what comes up.
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    One thing that plagued my macbook for years was that the BT/Plusnet hubs give you the best signal (in their opinion). Typically I couldn't connect unless I put in my wifi password and held down return to spam join the router - could take several attempts to connect and even then the signal would typically drop out at random.

Changed the settings so that there is now a choice of connecting to either 2.4ghz or 5ghz - I connect using 2.4ghz on the mac and no more connection dropouts!

I can't the blame the mac, it's doing really well to say I bought it in 2009 and still use it for live shows. it's just a niggle.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3337
    I've had my HH5 for a few years now with zero issues other than weak wifi signal strength upstairs but that's a distance + concrete issue and not the hubs fault. 
    Maybe i got lucky maybe your all unlucky it just maybe mine now dies and I don't get to finish this po....