What impacts on tuning stability again??

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited April 2017
    I've always been a fan of going balls deep, so it's a relief to hear that deep nuts are OK.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Rabs said:

Yes.. But PRS don't have the crazy headstock angle and the string path from nut to tuner is straight as the headstock is the snakehead type.. That's why it doesn't matter on a lot of guitars but really does make a difference on a Gibson.
    No, it really doesn't. It's physically impossible for any part of the nut which is above the centre line of the string to touch it. Think about it :). For it to do so, the groove would have to be like a tunnel and you wouldn't get the string to go in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought the extra height was an over-engineering thing, since with a shallower slot it's theoretically possible you could bend the string far enough to dislodge it from the nut.  Having the extra height prevents this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    The nut is probably 99.99% of tuning problems. The slot needs to be the right depth, slope down away from the fingerboard side to leave a neat contact or 'break point' at that edge, be angled toward the machine head, be round or 'U' shaped at the bottom so as not to grab the string, not be too wide to allow the string to vibrate in the slot, lubricated - graphite/pencil lead is good for this.

Apart from that theres not much that can go wrong.

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    ICBM said:
    The nut, the nut and the nut.

And how you string and tune it, but I assume you're reasonably good at that.
    So true .Every guitar I have owned except for my Gibson Midtown has needed a nut slot job ..I just use some tiny swiss files and a Exacto razor  saw gently rocked for the Ist and 2nd slot .And give those strings a really hard tug or  ten  to make sure its stretched .