MIDI - mapping, routing and message transformation

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Gassage said:
    By the way, the major issue here is the G2. For all its great strengths, MIDI is not one of them- the Free the Tone ARC-3 is miles better in this application.

Hmm...I was beginning to fear this conclusion. Might have to look at the ARC-3. The alternative is looking like using my SoftStep to control the G2 which seems a little nuts.

drwiddly said:
    From what I can see you've massively over complicated this. If your basic requirements are to change amp channels and switch fx on and off, keep everything on one channel, use program changes for the amp channels and control changes for switching the fx on and off. Using separate channels for everything will just do your head in.
    Going nuts with it was part of the experiment but yeah I think I'm going to have to cut it back a bit and develop one step at a time. Should keep me busy during the rainy days of summer!
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:

Re this question: So, what kind of gadget do I need that could take say, a PC message #5 on channel 1 and map that to another PC or CC message on channel 14?

Bradshaw do a box that covers this.

Ta! Don't know why I didn't think of Bradshaw....
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I'd also look into your Amp, the wording in tne manual states 'the amp is set to Midi channel 14 from the factory' now to me that reads as, "we set it that way just because, we can change it to any channel"

cos if not. 
    Thats just plain fucking random. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • I'd also look into your Amp, the wording in tne manual states 'the amp is set to Midi channel 14 from the factory' now to me that reads as, "we set it that way just because, we can change it to any channel"

cos if not. 
    Just had a surf around the Suhr forums - it might be possible to change it but the the amp footswitch won't work.

If it's easy to do that might save me some grief....requires a call with Suhr tech support so I've sent them a message.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    I'd also look into your Amp, the wording in tne manual states 'the amp is set to Midi channel 14 from the factory' now to me that reads as, "we set it that way just because, we can change it to any channel"

cos if not. 
    TOtally agree. Somewhere, there should be a very small blue plastic block switch in it (almost like a dip switch) which has channel settings on a tiny rotary dial that looks like a trim pot almost.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• longilongi Frets: 95
    edited April 2017
    Midi mapping is a whole different kettle of fish, you might have a footswitch that includes mapping in the midi suite but you may still need another device such as a Midi Solutions Event processor to interface between a foot controller and your amp. Your amp probably doesn't support midi mapping as very few devices do unless you have a keyboard somewhere in the mix.

Your only going to need preset and bank up and down PC controls plus footswitch CC changes for your effects loop etc. Midi mapping map a preset such as 1-1 to an irregular patch like 2-3 for instance, useful if you have one device with only 24 presets like a Line 6 M5.

The Boss GT-100 has midi mapping built in but you'll still require another midi mapping device (Midi Solutions Event processor) to allow your amp or another device to be mapped. It's not as straight forward as hooking up 2 devices and thinking they'll allow you to map the presets.

I think what your trying to do is more straight forward that you think. I think most foot controllers will do what your asking with out the need to midi map. The best thing to do is to see if you can borrow one from somewhere or pick one up 2nd hand and fiddle about rather than buy new.
  • Gassage said:

cos if not. 
    TOtally agree. Somewhere, there should be a very small blue plastic block switch in it (almost like a dip switch) which has channel settings on a tiny rotary dial that looks like a trim pot almost.
    Oh dear, Suhr tech support has just confirmed my amp will only listen on channel 14.

Time to get into the manuals of some mappers and alternative controllers!
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Gassage said:

cos if not. 
    Oh dear, Suhr tech support has just confirmed my amp will only listen on channel 14.

Time to get into the manuals of some mappers and alternative controllers!
    I'm sorry but that is beyond random,
    did they give a reason for this??

looks like you were just unlucky with the 'midi enabled' gear you have, very surprising and disappointing given the professional level of the kit. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • I'm sorry but that is beyond random,
    did they give a reason for this??

looks like you were just unlucky with the 'midi enabled' gear you have, very surprising and disappointing given the professional level of the kit. 
    No reason given via the email response. I may have to either phone or pull the chassis and see if there's anything obvious in terms of trimmers or jumpers. I love Suhr gear and they're usually very supportive, but it does seem like midi isn't one of their strengths!