An amp for guitar and bass?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4985
I have a bass amp and several guitar amps. When playing music with friends, there is enough equipment to lug to and from the car that I wondered if there is one amp that will do both jobs. Reasonable sound for both and not heavy. Not gigging loud. Not heavy, bad back. Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Yes, any amp at all. The only downside is that you will sound like sh*te when you plug the wrong instrument in.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • From the thread title I was going to suggest the Orange Thunderverb 200. But I think it might be a tiny bit too big and a bit too loud.

Just a bit though.  :o
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Get an old peavey
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Use a bass amp, and plug in an amp simulator pedal to get your guitar sounds. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6080
    Probably not the solution for your situation but I get a very nice bass sound using a Laney Cub valve amp, feeding the output to a 2x10 cabinet. This is much better solution for my needs than putting my guitar though the bass amp, which sounds very poor.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24351
    The litle Roland Bass Cube amp the old 20XL is great for guitar - it has an excellent Fender Bassman model in it, and that started as a bass amp that guitarists love.

Or get a Helix and FRFR cab.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Fender Bassman, the obvious choice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 2061x + cab of your choice - possibly with one pedal per instrument type (guitar, bass) to tailor your sound?
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    I'd suggest something like an old Polytone Minibrute combo if you can find one - compact, 100w, 1x12.  A friend had one as a bass amp but it had a perfectly acceptable guitar tone (in a 'jazz' kind of way, add an overdrive/preamp style pedal for janglier or more driven tones).
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Some of the old Keyboard combos like a carlsboro or similar will have the inputs and a half decent response range to cover Bass, Keys, acoustic guitar, even a mic if pushed. A guitar amp tends to have quite a narrow frequency response ofton with a mid hump built in. By using a cheap pod type thing into such a combo an electric guitar like sound can be easily achived, a behringer would be an option or a graphic with a non smily face at the end of your effects input chain.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Weight and a reduction in the number of 'boxes' that need to be transported is the reason for my search.  My Markbass is a fine bass amp but poor for a guitar.  And my Stinger combo is the opposite.  The Markbass is light, the Stinger is damn heavy for a small box.  @mart, what is an amp simulator pedal?  I never heard of one so please school me.  @fretmeister, the Roland Bass Cube seems like a good solution, I will check it out a.s.a.p.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Strangely, one of those 1980s solid-state 15W amps which was sold under various brand names (eg Solex) works quite well. They're all the same in having an 8" speaker, three 'gain' controls (I think usually labelled volume, distortion and master) and three-band EQ. Just set the gain and EQ differently for each - it won't be perfect, but surprisingly passable. The bass player in one of my old bands actually used one as a personal monitor on stage, for small acoustic-type gigs - with the main signal DI'd into the PA. As long as you don't overdrive the speaker it doesn't seem to do them any harm.

On that basis the Fender/Squier 15 might be even better since it has a closed cabinet with forward-facing ports, and the usual problem for guitar is stopping them sounding too boomy. I've never tried one for bass but possibly I should!

All of these are very small and light, and cheap - under £50 in full serviced order from any shop, maybe less form Ebay.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Rocker said:
    ....  @mart, what is an amp simulator pedal?  I never heard of one so please school me.  ...
    Something that reproduces the tone-shaping of a preamp and speaker cab, without amplifying the signal very much, like this:
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/images/blonde_sm.jpg
    https://www.gak.co.uk/en/tech-21-sansamp-blonde/55529?gclid=CKv6wpDvsNMCFRe3GwodLuoKRw

or
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/613DrKx939L._SX355_.jpg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/JOYO-JF-13-Vintage-Amplifier-Effect-x/dp/B006QUGBVK

or or there are many others, emulating various different classic amps.