Show us your hand wiring

What's Hot
bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
Inspired by some of the images in a Lazy J thread I am interested to hear what some of the amp guys make of the wiring in boutique amps. This is part of an ongoing debate for me about whether or not to ditch valves and hand wiring for something more futuristic.  I read somewhere that Leo Fender said that he wished PCBs were around when he was building amps. 

Here is one to start

http://i.imgur.com/k3V3XXl.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    I'm probably wrong (Im sure some of the tech guys will point it out if I am) but I would assume that if that Leo Fender quote is true his inclination towards PCB's would have been more for their ease of manufacture and ability to be reproduced quickly and cheaply (compared to hardwired) 
    How very rock and roll
  • I think you are right. If Leo ever did comment on PCB's, it would have been from an ease of production point of view.
    Does anyone know if Fender switched to PCBs  all at once or did they run both types of production?
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I think you are right. If Leo ever did comment on PCB's, it would have been from an ease of production point of view.
    Does anyone know if Fender switched to PCBs  all at once or did they run both types of production?

They switched in the mid 80s buyout.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    edited April 2017
    That is amazing. Much later than I expected.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72414
    For the valve amps, yes - but the Rivera-designed solid state amps from the same late-CBS period are PCB.

I haven't ever seen inside any of the older solid-state Fenders but I would assume they probably are too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited April 2017
    Having problems with this forum software and Dropbox but I'll try again.

My Ceriatone OTS much modded, and seen here before the PT swap and fitting a relay tyranny.

Edit nope, it won't work, yes its a public folder

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mzgfjy29flcfiy/OTS011.jpg?dl=0

edited April 2017
    And my Dc-30 clone 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh I thought from the thread title you wanted to see forum members own wiring . Oh well 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    let's up the game- Hiwatt DR103.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelg said:
    Oh I thought from the thread title you wanted to see forum members own wiring . Oh well 
    Any and all wiring, I am interested in seeing. I am especially interested in the tech guys comments about if today's handwiring is reflective of the originals.

Did you have that photo already? If not that is an excellent effort
    hywelg said:
    Any and all wiring, I am interested in seeing. I am especially interested in the tech guys comments about if today's handwiring is reflective of the originals.

Did you have that photo already? If not that is an excellent effort
    Unfortunately it's a rather telling statement of my life that my phone is full of pictures of my baby son, my guitar gear, various wiring and pictures of my good lady's bum. 
  • @professorben that sounds pretty good to me. Not sure there is much more you could ask for.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM  you can't just post that without some explanation.
    It's a pic of hand wiring :). Actually point-to-point, unlike most of what guitar-terminology refers to as that.

Just an illustration that it doesn't have to look neat to work perfectly well.

I probably should have put a smiley on it ;).

ICBM said:
    It's a pic of hand wiring :). Actually point-to-point, unlike most of what guitar-terminology refers to as that.

Amen. 
    Working is working. 
  • ICBM said:

I think that is a thing of beauty. Is it one of your builds?
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    edited April 2017
    ICBM said:
    The guts of a Komet 19 look pretty similar to that

im not qualified to comment, but if you take the view that the simplistic possible circuit gives you the purest tone, then that should also include the shortest length of wire and this is going to be what it looks like!

If I understand correctly, the Harry Joyce approach is more about being able to find and faulty component and fix it whilst taking artillery fire - but it's pretty much the definition of 'neat' in amp wiring 
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197