Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why have Mesa Boogie lost so much second hand value?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    edited September 2017
    I own a mesa .50 caliber, an el84 version. I think it was a forerunner to the dc series and maybe I'm biased but they are great. So if they are currently cheap in the classifieds then make hay while the sun shines!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    It works both ways - British made Amos are expensive in the US. The importers want to make money and there's shipping to pay for. Westside do seem to be very guilty of taking a big slice of pie though.
    Good point. 
    I only recently realised that not only are Mesas much cheaper in the US, but Marshalls are more expensive. 
    In the US I don't think there is that big a price difference between say a Mesa Express 50 at ($1449 Sweet Water) (£1,599 Andertons ) and a JVM 50 at ($1.900 Sweet Water)  (£938 Andertons) but if you look at the UK price the Mesa goes from being a good bit cheaper to 50% more expensive!
    A boogie mark v combo works out at $4500 in the U.K. Vs $2500 in the USA at sweetwater. That's surely taking the piss
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Last time i checked a Mini Rectifier worked out at £800 in the US, £1350 here. That's some markup...I paid £500 used for mine, i wanted one badly but no way was i going to pay £1350!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    ThorpyFX said:
    A boogie mark v combo works out at $4500 in the U.K. Vs $2500 in the USA at sweetwater. That's surely taking the piss
    Yeah. Some things are certainly cheaper here than in the USA, but rarely are they as much cheaper.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    edited September 2017
    The new price for a 4x12 mesa cab is now over £1500. absolutely stupid. I'd rather buy a Zilla or Orange cab AND go buy a second hand Mark IV to go with it. 

Sure there are some boutique companies that charge that and get away with it but Mesa are taking the pish

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • When we enjoyed 2 US$ / 1 £, Westside could justify a distributor margin, and still be competitive against European competition. Now that it is approaching parity, Mesa are no longer competitive new. If Mesa want to sell volumes in the UK, they need to re-think the Westside link

For those of us who like them, buying used is a great option - built like tanks and generally reliable, although a real pain to fix if they go seriously wrong. I've owned 7 Mesa rigs, 4 of which were bought used, but in good condition. Never had an issue that wasn't valve or verb tray related
  • Mesa are no longer "boutique", they are as common as Marshall are these days and therefore prices drop like a stone - which is a good thing as you can pick up really reliable bits of kit which are built to last for essentially peanuts.

My current Stiletto Ace combo is a bloody wonderful thing, does everything it's more expensive friend at home (Bogner Shiva) does with ease and I would hazard a guess is actually better than it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Because they are massively overpriced new here and in the case of the bigguns, not really sensible for most people's gigging I'd guess.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The distribution, as mentioned, is pricing them, IMO, farrrrr too high.