Nails

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Is it strictly necessary to use fingernails in finger picking? I ask because I've been trying to learn, but my nails are bitten to the quick (because I am goddamn intense / a nervous wreck / in thrall to bad childhood habits - take your pick) so I've only been using the pads of my fingers, reasoning that if I wanted clarity and volume I'd either plug in or pick up a pick. Am I doing it all wrong? 
    Do what ever suits. For me it's about tone.

Nails produce a different tone to skin, that's it really. There is no right or wrong. I preferred a bit of nail and some skin for playing as it sounded best with the guitar I was playing. 

Classical players tend to have nails, as it helps to attain a more traditional tone and provides more options for producing different timbres. 

If you don't have nails, it doesn't matter. As long as you're having fun!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    Yeah, acoustic. The notes don't exactly ring out like bells (but then I'm playing a dreadnought with 13s on - I might experiment with 12s). On the other hand, getting 'Don't Think Twice It's Alright' down has put a great big grin on my face.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Is it strictly necessary to use fingernails in finger picking? I ask because I've been trying to learn, but my nails are bitten to the quick (because I am goddamn intense / a nervous wreck / in thrall to bad childhood habits - take your pick) so I've only been using the pads of my fingers, reasoning that if I wanted clarity and volume I'd either plug in or pick up a pick. Am I doing it all wrong? 
    Tommy Emmanuel plays without nails as seen below. I think the idea is to get callouses on your right hand in order play this way for extended periods.

A lot of the old blues men took that approach too. I have guitarist friends who rely on calouses rather than nails. It produces a different tone, not better or worse just different.

I like to feel the strings with my finger tips but rely on nails for clarity. The combination means that nails don't have to be inconveniently long and the picking fingertips do get slightly calloused, although nothing like the fretting fingers.

Last night I broke a picking nail immediately before a gig but had to carry on anyway. It felt slightly strange but I doubt it was anything the audience picked up on.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
    Nic Jones bit his nails to the quick, and he was a hell of a guitarist. Mind you his guitar was usually tuned a couple of tones down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15544
    Stuckfast said:
    Nic Jones bit his nails to the quick, and he was a hell of a guitarist. Mind you his guitar was usually tuned a couple of tones down.

heh, did not know that (about the fingernails, I know about the freaky tunings). Was just listening to some of hs stuff this morning, fantastic guitarist, with a fantastic tone.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Plectrum. Why make it difficult for yourself?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15544
    [insert facepalm gif here]

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 172
    Since I play Nashville style, I really would like to have the fake ones. but I also work a professional, client-facing job...so that's a nope. Also I'd have to get them professionally done since I cannot see, so messing with my hands is not an easy thing to do on my own. I just play the hell out of my right hand, until the pads get calloused. Its not the otne I want, but its not bad.
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    lovely stuff chaps / chapesesses  ,  been a bit busy for a while so missed the forum and threads that I was guilty of starting. There is no one way to play guitar, a few exhibited in this thread, but there is something about beefing up each picking hand finger. To @bermudianbrit , with your style, get them done. once every three weeks  having your hand caressed by a pleasant lady ( or guy if that floats your boat ) and the inevitable conversation about guitar playing ( once had the whole salon at a gig ) having beefed up nails certainly draws out everything a guitar has. oh and they are not like |*|thin plectrums " if they are you're doing it wrong or have no real experience of using acrylics / wraps.

Matter of interest @bermudianbrit , who are listening to in terms of your Nashville sound ?