Now that the Katana honeymoon period is over.........

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
......any regrets ?

Anybody sold theirs because it didnt work out ?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Nope! Love it!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Not at all, the 50w is a cracking little amp, mine is going nowhere
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'm still mulling over the idea of getting one. I don't need it, but it doesn't stop me wanting..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    I can understand they are not for everyone, if you are out to spend 2k on a big gigging rig it wouldnt be appropriate.

Mine wipes the floor with the other home practise amps ive tried though!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • im tempted to get the 100 1by12 for gigging but im not sure if its up to it. i presently use a laney vc30 212 which is more than loud enough but im finding it big and heavy and fancy a lighter alternative, the katana 100 is half the weight.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Mine is definitely a keeper. Absolutely loved it from the moment I plugged it in, and after the speaker had been broken in properly it  just got better.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    im tempted to get the 100 1by12 for gigging but im not sure if its up to it. i presently use a laney vc30 212 which is more than loud enough but im finding it big and heavy and fancy a lighter alternative, the katana 100 is half the weight.
    My Son uses his 100 watter in his band.

With drum kit, keyboards and a loud bassist he has only used 50W setting.  

They are not a loud band though and to date have not played any large gig yet.

Sounds very good to me and he has not asked to borrow either of my valve amps........................yet ;)

Just try one.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705

Sold my100.  Good solid clean and slight breakup sounds, got a bit harsh with the gain wound up.  The effects implementation was too limiting to replace everything but to be fair, a great amp for the money.  I liked the clean setting with a bit of pedal drive, I could have worked with that but it used one of the effect slots up.

I may have kept the 50, just because it's smaller for home use.

7/10 for me, very good, it did nothing wrong, but I wasn't blown away like some.

• Ironicallyim not really interested in the effects, I'd wantto use it clean and get my drives and effectsfrom my zoom g3, or am I being daft? 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited April 2017
    I only really use overdrive. No other effects at all. Mainly look for a good clean sound in an amp...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    usedtobe said:
    I only really use overdrive. No other effects at all. Mainly look for a good clean sound in an amp...
    got to say that I've been reallly really impressed with my quilter pro block so far.  Sounds fecking awesome, and takes pedals a treat.  little bit more expensive than the katana obviously but  by far the best solid state amp solution I've tried by a mile.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beowulfbeowulf Frets: 44
    edited April 2017
    I only tend to use the chorus and delay effects. I don't like the booster sounds at all I have to be honest (don't sound very smooth or balanced), and I don't like what the gain knob does past about 12 o'clock either. So I use my Boss OD-3 for overdriven sounds. 

As a KT100 1x12 owner, if I was to reflect on the 'honeymoon period', I guess I would say the hype was perhaps a tad strong, but I'm still pleased with the purchase. 
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I'm still loving my 50.   No issues at all.   I rigged up a DIY  footswitch to use the channel option and can toggle between whatever two settings I want, currently using a default chorus/reverb on one channel and octave divider on the the other.    Later I'm going to see if I can dial in a tremolo manually that I can override back to the the presets easily, there's just one section of a song I would like to try it with.  Otherwise all I have for pedals is distortion and a volume pedal. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited April 2017

I had a 100w combo, used it for a few gigs which it handled brilliantly. I then had one of those great ideas and sold it locally. Unsurprisingly I have another one now and love it, especially since I figured out that you could tinker with the send and return levels to have the loop button on the footswitch act as a clean volume boost, so I now just use the GA-FC switch and a wah live. I use the lead channel set about half way for a Marshall crunch sound which you can clean up with the guitar volume and hit the aforementioned switch for solos. Then have a phaser, univibe or chorus on one button, delays, tap, and reverb on the others. Only ever use it in the effects mode live as opposed to patch mode, but often faff around at home with the computer based editor thingy when I want to jam along with particular things. Fancy playing the solo from Time? pull up a Floyd type patch, that sort of thing.

It's small, light, sounds ace, is easy to dial in, sounds good through headphones, plays nicely with recording stuff and is only as complicated as you want to make it. It lets me play more guitar more easily and that's really what I want.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    I'm not sure what to do with the octave setting,

whatever I try to do with it just sounds like the old theme tune from Grange Hill

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    tony99 said:

whatever I try to do with it just sounds like the old theme tune from Grange Hill

I defy anyone who has read this not to hum that tune all day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    cbilly22 said:
    tony99 said:

a true classic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    tony99 said:
    cbilly22 said:
    tony99 said:

a true classic
    I kind of want to play it on guitar now if the Katana can nail the "tone" :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    tony99 said:

I use it in one song my band wrote where I play a sort of "shadow bass line" through most of the song.  I leave it on for the solo, it takes on a kind of 12 string "8 Miles High" thing on the higher notes.   I play a solo in about 90% of our songs so anything I can do to give it variety without ten pedals is great. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:

I use it in one song my band wrote where I play a sort of "shadow bass line" through most of the song.  I leave it on for the solo, it takes on a kind of 12 string "8 Miles High" thing on the higher notes.   I play a solo in about 90% of our songs so anything I can do to give it variety without ten pedals is great. 
    oh well that sounds good, I can sort of hear the point of it on the lower strings but on the higher it sounds a little strange

the clean is nice too but I do have to have my guitar vol max'd to get it which is a shame really

lots of interesting things to explore though, and I've yet to deploy my flanger !!!