Humbuckers for alder?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    The answer was Oil City Nightfighters. Horrible top end has now gone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    Good to know I have been looking into them 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    DefaultM said:
    So, er... did the wood make a difference?

:D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think I might put the duncan distortions in my other prs and see. The only difference between the guitars is the wood, and they sounded very scratchy in the alder one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    DefaultM said:
    I think I might put the duncan distortions in my other prs and see. The only difference between the guitars is the wood, and they sounded very scratchy in the alder one.
    Must be the fret material or the strings because we've been told and must accept that the type of wood makes no difference whatsoever.
     :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited April 2017
    Duncan Distortions have plenty of aggressive high end. This thread makes more sense now if that was the last pickup in the guitar.

Personally I only like that pickup in dark chunky sounding guitars - if the guitar is bright and snappy then it'll probably be quite bright and aggressive with a Distortion (unless you're going for that early George Lynch kind of searing lead tone).

I've just put them in my mahogany and maple PRS CE and they're a lot chunkier sounding in that guitar. I really like them. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    good to know - as I mentioned earlier I fitted a set the otehr week on a CU24 for a customer and thought they sounded nice, especially on overdriven amp settings
    I've got them in an LP Custom as well and they're nice in that. Very smooth. 
    I've got some of the new alnico 2 ones as well but not really tried them yet, other than to briefly check they sound as expected. 

I'm really impressed with the duncan distortions though, simply because I've disliked every other duncan I've fitted.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Seconds out, round two.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited June 2017
    Not being awkward but the best pups I ever heard in my CE24 were the stock HFS and V Bass. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've only had those in a custom 24 and I hated them. They've got different woods, but obviously that doesn't matter so I won't be trying those again. 
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Yowsers:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    Rox said:
    Yowsers:

It's fascinating, but surely they must have done something else to reinforce it - glue, or resin, or something.  Obviously the way they've oriented the pieces is much, much stronger than just some flat pieces of card, but it would still be easy to crush and dent it and the edges of the neck and body look like they'd just flake away.  The neck must feel really weird.
    But no one is saying you can't make a guitar out of any material, and I doubt that by making that video Fender are saying a cardboard guitar sounds just as good as their guitars made from premium woods? I can't really tell from a video on my phone, but I'm sure it sounds different. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    DefaultM said:
    But no one is saying you can't make a guitar out of any material, and I doubt that by making that video Fender are saying a cardboard guitar sounds just as good as their guitars made from premium woods? I can't really tell from a video on my phone, but I'm sure it sounds different. 
    It's really a promo for Ernest packaging.  The guys from Fender and the guys who play the guitar really aren't saying it's "as good as" a regular wooden guitar, they're just impressed that it was possible to make a cardboard guitar which plays well and sounds pretty good.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I am not a tonewood guy. 
    But I believe it has an affect on the end result of the instrument. 

Same as everything does, from pickups to nut material to construction type. 

I think you get a far far greater change in your sound by turning the treble knob on your amp from 3 to 4 than changing wood types. 

But its all still in the melting pot. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Anyone remember the Washburn tonewood series? I seem to remember a mag review at the time said there wasn't a lot of difference.. They were  saying stuff like maybe this ones a bit brighter, maybe this ones a bit darker, maybe this ones a bit whatever... If memory serves, of course..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.