Hacking a Blackface Fender for Monster Gain, Blasphemous or Badass?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    I'll maybe watch that later if I can be bothered… but my philosophy is pretty simple - it's not blasphemous, but it's just stupid. You're going to hack a nice old amp which sounds great the way it is, and create something which doesn't sound as good as a purpose-built high-gain amp *or* as good as it does now… so what exactly is the point?

In the days before you could easily buy proper high-gain amps for very little money, I could maybe see the point - I even did a few myself. But I soon realised that it wasn't really sensible.

I always used to say that the best high-gain mod for an old Marshall costs £25 to do, is yellow and says Boss on the front...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds pretty good. Before, being a transition amp with anomalies, there is the chance it sounded... Pants. 

I've certainly heard old amps before that sound underwhelming. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    All old fender amps should be hacked up and thrown in the bin. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Don't really see the point. There's about a zillion high gainers out there.
    Fenders are nice amps in their own right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I'll maybe watch that later if I can be bothered… but my philosophy is pretty simple - it's not blasphemous, but it's just stupid. You're going to hack a nice old amp which sounds great the way it is, and create something which doesn't sound as good as a purpose-built high-gain amp *or* as good as it does now… so what exactly is the point?

In the days before you could easily buy proper high-gain amps for very little money, I could maybe see the point - I even did a few myself. But I soon realised that it wasn't really sensible.

I always used to say that the best high-gain mod for an old Marshall costs £25 to do, is yellow and says Boss on the front...

The difference with this one is that there were various anomalies in the circuit - so it might not have sounded the way a proper good blackface fender would. 

That said, I don't really disagree either... Especially when for the cost of the work you could get a decent gainy amp. 

He doesn't make it a high gain fire breathing monster - he tweaks the eq, bias and a couple of other things to make it dirtier and a bit more Marshally/tweedy. It's all reversible, too. So.. Not a disaster, even if it would have been better to just buy a df2 and get on with it ;)