Lubricating Tuners

What's Hot
SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
edited April 2017 in Guitar
I've noticed the closed back Vinage tuners on my PRS McCarty have become ever so slightly stiff for my liking.

I notice that there is a small hole in each of the tuner covers, presumably for lubricating purposes.
Any ideas what sort of lubricant (if any) might do the job?
I've seen a Stewmac article where he used a small syringe filled with petroleum jelly (Vaseline).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Durex Play.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Jack_ said:
    Durex Play.
    What flavour?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    I use standard general-purpose grease, like Castrol LM. You need a small syringe to get it in - the one you get with 'Big Bends Nut Sauce' nut lubricant is ideal, and I strongly suspect the grease you get in it isn't much different either… and since even one tube is enough to last several years of nut work you could probably just use that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for that, the Nut Sauce sounds like a good idea.
    Would you bother trying to clean out the old grease it first - I guess that would mean disassembling the tuners, though?
    SimonC said:

Would you bother trying to clean out the old grease it first - I guess that would mean disassembling the tuners, though?
    No - if they're the Kluson-style ones you can't open them up without bending back metal tabs. I would only even consider it if there's evidence that grit has got in, eg if the guitar has been on a beach or something. If they're just a bit dry it's not necessary at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Sewing Machine Oil works well.  
    Something remarkable I found out about Dan Erlewine recently - before becoming probably the most knowlegeable repair expert in the guitar world, in the mid-1960s he was in a band with Iggy Pop, and then Jesse Crawford who was later with the MC5. Must have been interesting times!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prime_Movers_(Michigan_band)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    I use 3 in 1 oil.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16733
    octatonic said:
    I use 3 in 1 oil.

same here, dripped into the hole with a toothpick, and turned loads of time to distribute
    Thinner oils like that are OK for cleaning, but I would still follow up with some grease as the oil dissipates pretty quickly.

• polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    ICBM said:
    Something remarkable I found out about Dan Erlewine recently - before becoming probably the most knowlegeable repair expert in the guitar world, in the mid-1960s he was in a band with Iggy Pop, and then Jesse Crawford who was later with the MC5. Must have been interesting times!

Mike Bloomfield acquired his '59 Les Paul in a trade with Dan Erlewine, as well—for a goldtop and cash, if I remember correctly.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22987
    polotska said:
    ICBM said:

Mike Bloomfield acquired his '59 Les Paul in a trade with Dan Erlewine, as well—for a goldtop and cash, if I remember correctly.
    I like Dan Erlewine.  I always enjoyed his page in Guitar Player.  Very interesting guy.