SORTED....RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A GREAT 'CLEAN HEADROOM' AMP

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• If you love your JRT, try and find an FTR 37? similar tonality but with more grunt! Other amps I've tried which behave similarly are the Morgan SWR, Carr Slant 6V.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    You won't do better than Carr slant v ..............Impala and even Rambler will break up far too early
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72378
    Castro said:
    Guitar people

I am on the lookout for a small boutique combo or head+single-speaker cab that can be heard above a drummer in small, mostly pub venues. 

I currently have a Divided By 13 JRT 9/15 which is incredible at lower volumes but gets all Vox AC30/gritty when being pushed...lovely sound though.

I'm thinking that a 30-40 watter might do the trick, something like a Carr Impala?

Wish list
    • Modest size.
    • A single speaker, no 2x12s or large cabinets.
    • Single channel - I don't need two or more channels as I use pedals for dirt.
    • Simple controls - I don't want every switch to be push-pull like the Boogie MkIV I once owned.
    • I'd really like a master volume.
    • Reverb and tremolo not required, but I wouldn't avoid amps that have them.
    • I like Blackface-type cleans with plenty of sparkle but also with effective EQ, i.e. tone controls that actually do something.
    • High build quality - I'll consider Carr, Tone King, DB13, Swart, Two Rock and similar 'boutique' hand-made stuff.
    Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Steve
    Peavey Special

Small 1x12", 120W/130W/160W depending on version, master volume, reverb, simple but powerful EQ, outstanding Fender clean tone*, louder than any drummer, bombproof build quality.

Yes… I know it's solid-state. You didn't say it couldn't be :).

*What I mean by an outstanding Fender clean tone is that last week I had a Fender '68 Super Reverb here for repair. Discounting the difference between four tens and a single twelve, the Peavey could nail the tone of the Super more or less exactly. Not only that, a while ago I had a JBL-loaded SF Twin here and the Peavey could not only dead-on nail the tone of that too, it was just as loud.

OK, I know you're not actually going to get one, because it's solid-state. But I'm serious about the sound, and the build quality. So much so that I sold my Mesa…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    Kebabkid said:
    Rivera Jazz Suprema - 50 watt Combo (either single 12" or single 15" Speaker). Designed to give a warm clean sound until it's really turned up. It does have a beautiful reverb.
    Yep ^ and this Rivera Model, too and specifically designed for clean maximum headroom
    http://www.rivera.com/product/combos/venus-deux/

I have the 50 watt 1x 12' Jazz Suprema in the same styling, which looks really classy. It's the amp that I use most at home.
  • CastroCastro Frets: 512
    I had a Slant 6v but the 2 x 12....big and damned heavy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Check out the brunetti singleman 35. Ticks a lot of boxes. Looks great. I love mine.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Friedman Buxom Betty. 

Stays clean, loud, fendery with reverb built in. Lifetime warranty and it's primarily a pedal platform but sounds lovely without any fx. 

I've got the head and a Zilla Fatbaby with a neo creamback. It's a great lightweight rig. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Again.........Dr Z EZG.  
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Oh whoever said a Carr Rambler will break up too.early hasn't played one through an EV :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Nothing Fendery hit the spot ?  I'd say a Princeton, but you seem to want more welly.

Deluxe Reverb or something ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    Don't overlook the Hot Rod Deluxe if you put a decent speaker in it.  Ignore the drive channels and just use the clean channel.  I had one with a Weber 12F150 speaker in it.  The only reason I got rid of it was that is was too loud for my needs.
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    JTM45/100 is one of the best clean's i have ever heard and take pedals all day long.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    @Castro - this would/should be a contender and based in Southampton. High clean headroom that a Deluxe Reverb can't give you.
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/100968/morgan-sw22r-for-sale#latest

• CastroCastro Frets: 512
    Kebabkid thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Steve
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    I don't find the Rambler breaks up very early. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3870
    I don't find the Impala breaks up very early either.