Bottleneck Blues - Fingerstyle

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    edited May 2017
    This has been an educational thread as it's got me looking at videos of Martin Simpson playing slide guitar and I have to confess I've criminally underrated him. In my defence, my opinion had been formed on the basis of videos like this which are pretty underwhelming (especially tonally):

So looking a bit further I happened upon this, and now I can see why someone could feel justified in putting their name to a £300 slide:

....because that's some of the best slide playing I've ever seen. The Fred McDowell/RJ/Son House homage is clear but he's added a level of sophistication beyond that and the tone and articulation are incredible. I'm presuming this video predates the @Wolfram slides by some time but you can totally see why someone who played with this approach (and ability) would value even marginal gains that a smoother feeling and sounding slide would give them.

I now need to find as many recordings of him playing slide as I can (with a mic...not that bloody piezo!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 662

Does this glass slide light you up ?

• McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 662
    Or a hip flask ?

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Michael Chapman just uses his wedding ring. : >
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    good stuff.
    this guy's done the rounds before but he puts a smile on my face.
    ya see, what I’ve noticed in the music biz is how serious it’s all gotten - wheres the FUN, the humor, the dare I say it - joy. Nah - it’s how cool and awesome am I with all my exclusivity
    Well thankfully this guy’s got it in spades.

and again, same tune with a must have ‘apprentice built modified dread’ oil can guitar -

mug slide - yeah -

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom