Android Tablet recommendations?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
edited April 2017 in Off Topic
I have to hand back my wonderful Google Pixel C tablet that I have loaned from work due to me being made redundant.
I love this little beast but cost of  buying myself an exact replacement is nuts.
I've got around £250 to spend on a replacement and am looking for at least a full HD 10 inch screen.
Any Android tablet users out there who can recommend particular makes\models?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Our Maud got a Samsung Tab A, 2 years ago, and has sung its praises ever since.  Possibly superseded by now, but she's had no problems with it, and uses it daily.  I think she has to charge it most nights.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    What gets me is the prices are going up and down like crazy. Last week a Yoga Tab 3 Plus was £269 then dropped to £249 mid week, yesterday they had shot up to £299 and today they are back at £249. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • I have a tesco hudl 2. 

It works! I play final fantasy 9, job hunt, watch YouTube and browse the web on it. 

I wouldn't recommend it because it was cheap when it came out, but I'd suggest that these days the technology has matured to a point where most tablets and phones just "work". Pick one that has the screen you want and looks nice, i think.
  • Main issue with hudl is it was my mum's and so is shocking pink with a cupcake cover...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22204
    Main issue with hudl is it was my mum's and so is shocking pink with a cupcake cover...
    Does she have a matching sofa/lounge suite to go with it? 

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22204
    Main issue with hudl is it was my mum's and so is shocking pink with a cupcake cover...

• Main issue with hudl is it was my mum's and so is shocking pink with a cupcake cover...

Luckily not. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15978
    Nitefly said:
    Our Maud got a Samsung Tab A, 2 years ago, and has sung its praises ever since.  Possibly superseded by now, but she's had no problems with it, and uses it daily.  I think she has to charge it most nights.

are we missing out on anything vital features/performance here compared tae the ipads of the world?
    tae be or not tae be
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    hootsmon said:
    Nitefly said:

are we missing out on anything vital features/performance here compared tae the ipads of the world?
    Sorry, Hoots, no technical data available!  As TPD pointed out above, stuff nowadays works, so it's largely down to aesthetics.  Also neither of us has any knowledge/experience of Apple stuff.

That said, she is a huge fan of Samsung stuff (TV, last 5 phones, and tablet!) and it's easy to connect it all together.  She's certainly not what you'd call a power-user - quite often she's watching C-beebies stuff with our 18-month-old granddaughter!

Sorry can't be more help!
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5534
    I have a Samsung Tab A 10.1" for work and really like it.
    Thin, great screen, decent battery.
  • hootsmon said:
    Nitefly said:

Ipad pros have some practicality in terms of mobile photo and music editing, but for general tablet duties, they're just a hair smoother and more responsive. 

And if you're into ipad pro money, you're also into convertible laptop money which gets you much more practicality in a similarly small package in a Windows or Android device. 

For general tablet duties (dicking about in guitar forums and watching YouTube) you'll not notice much. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I have had two Kindles. My current one is HD and larger screen than the first, so needs charged more often. Another downside is you are tied to downloading apps from Amazon.

But apart from that its dead on.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Nexus 7 (2013) does a job, £100 from Argos. The HD screen is suitable for browsing, movies and watching TV.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    We've got an older Samsung one that has been pretty bombproof.  It's probably 5 or 6 years old now and has survived everything my daughters have done to it.