Amp Sim vs Modelling Amp?

2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    Fretwired said:
    I have a THR10 and I use Amplitube as a VST plugin. To answer your question it depends on the guitar tone you're after. The THR10 is perfectly capable of providing you with a decent recorded guitar tone. However, the amps, FX, mics and cabs are limited. I tend to like Fender amps so have the Amplitube Fender pack (endorsed by Fender) which is great. It boils down to your personal taste. If you're happy with the tone from your THR10 then save your money and don't buy a plugin.

You can connect your THR10 to your PC and tweak the tone with a Yamaha app that gives you deep editing options with things like compressors. Not sure if you've seen this:

I just bought the Fender 2 pack, also very good
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    What's people's experience of using headphones only? My setup is cramped and even small speakers like the Mackie are going to take up a lot of my space. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7803
    BRISTOL86 said:
    What's people's experience of using headphones only? My setup is cramped and even small speakers like the Mackie are going to take up a lot of my space. 
    I use headphones most of the time. Get comfy ones ( I have akg m30 and m50.) No issues.
    BRISTOL86 said:
    I use headphones most of the time. Get comfy ones ( I have akg m30 and m50.) No issues.
    Ok thanks. I kind of felt like I'd be losing something if I didn't have speakers but I may start off with headphones and see how it goes. 
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Yep, get yourself a pair of decent studio headphones and you're good to go. Dare I say it, I actually prefer using these than my monitors. You take the room out of the equation so to speak, and given that the good amp sims will also simulate the placement of mics around cab speakers, I find that you get more pleasing results that way. But YMMV and all that
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    Thanks. I've ordered the Mackie's as I think I can fit them in and thinking about it I'd like to use them for listening to music too. If they're too big or I prefer headphones I'll send them back.