Peavey Valveking 20 combo thoughts?

What's Hot
dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
After a bottle of wine last night I made yet another impulse purchase from Andertons in the shape of the discounted Valveking II 20 combo (a couple of months ago it was a Washburn N4!)

It will arrive tomorrow so will make up my own mind then, but just curious if there are any owners on here?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    The Bandits are much better.
    Quite an uninspiring range of amps I'm sorry to say.
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Aye, the reviews I have read are rather mixed at best.  Although the mark ii series seems to come out much better than the original.  Will see when it arrives and if not impressed it will be sent back.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    I think it will be a decent buy at the offer price. As Lee said in the video, it was probably overpriced at the RRP but it's a lot of amp for the deal money.
    I'd be interested to hear what you think when you get it as I may be tempted if there are any left.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2459
    I remember messing with a prototype VKII and was very impressed. Much more character and dynamics than the first version. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

After redeeming loyalty points I had with them it was only £310 delivered, so I can't think of anything else for the money that 'should' tick all the boxes I want for home use.  
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The 20w is great, lots of really good tones on it and sounds smart direct to daw too
    Well, after a couple of hours playing I am quite happy to say that I think it is really rather good.  

It sounds and 'feels' great, with plenty of tone shaping options, and for the money I think it is excellent value.

I'm just not 100% sure if it's a keeper though yet as it's maybe just a bit much for home use.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    dbphoto said:
    Well, after a couple of hours playing I am quite happy to say that I think it is really rather good.  

It sounds and 'feels' great, with plenty of tone shaping options, and for the money I think it is excellent value.

I'm just not 100% sure if it's a keeper though yet as it's maybe just a bit much for home use.

No no.... your real world experience and opinions are no match for our Internet wisdom. 

They are terrible amps, even if they sound good.....erm. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    It sounds like it's a very different thing than the older Valve Kings. I've never heard anyone say a good word about those, other than being very cheap for a valve amp - but actually sounding so flat and lifeless you might as well buy a solid-state one anyway.

I'm not sure why a 20W amp should be too much for the house, but then I'm one of those nutters who doesn't think a 100W amp is either, if it has an effective volume control...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Does it not have some kind of power soak or power scaling, like 20, 5 and 1 watt? Or is that just the head?
    In my defence my son was born a week ago so I'm not exactly firing on all cylinders due to sleep deprivation:

I forgot all about it having a 5w and 1w switch on the back!

and I can't comment on the previous version having never tried one, but compared to my HT5r combo, Bassbreaker 007 combo and DSL5C I would say it stands up really well and is 'better' in some regards (and each of them cost more than it)

None of the above get as much use as my little ID Core 10 V2 though!
    I managed to get some more time with it today and for those interested I really do think it is rather good.  And input 2 using the 1w setting is perfect for when i'm not on my own at home ;-)