Thinking of a Helix LT as my Mini Board - Am I Mad?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2444
    TheMarlin said:
    I'm going to wait until Helix 2 comes out.  Line 6 stuff usually plummets on the used market when something 'new and improved' comes out. 
    Happy to wait for a bargain ;)
    Version 2.2 was released just recently. ;-)

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7803
    TheMarlin said:
    I'm going to wait until Helix 2 comes out.  Line 6 stuff usually plummets on the used market when something 'new and improved' comes out. 
    Given LT just came out and Native is on it's way - I don't think Helix 2 will be any time soon. 
    I bought a year ago and it's been amazing. Sometime's life is too short to wait for bargains!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    Given LT just came out and Native is on it's way - I don't think Helix 2 will be any time soon. 
    I bought a year ago and it's been amazing. Sometime's life is too short to wait for bargains!
    Exactly...

The last round of modelling lasted a long time - the HD 500 was released in 2010 IIRC. It'll be years before anything new comes out IMO
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    TheMarlin said:
    You'll be waiting 7 years or so I reckon. Good luck, take a paper!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    No hurry...  I got burned with various Flextones, happy to wait it out.  My 5E3 is doing it for me at the moment.  
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited April 2017
    If a Helix 2 came out tomorrow and the price of a used Helix dropped to £500, I wouldn't regret the £700 I'd 'lost' the last year has been a joy and probably saved me more than that buying pedals.  The time I've spent playing Vs the time I would have spent on eBay is priceless.  In fact I'd be happy, id buy another one as backup :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited April 2017
    John_A said:
    If a Helix 2 came out tomorrow and the price of a used Helix dropped to £500, I wouldn't regret the £700 I'd 'lost' the last year has been a joy and probably saved me more than that buying pedals.  The time I've spent playing Vs the time I would have spent on eBay is priceless.  In fact I'd be happy, id buy another one as backup
    Yep.

If you're using it it's not really pure depreciation - because you're also getting value while you have it 

Time is money and all that. Money is also money but time is also sanity..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    Just to be clear, I'm not poking fun, or even vaguely suggesting any of you are daft for buying a Helix.  I'm just stating that they interest me, but in no fan of paying full retail price for anything.  I like a good used bargain. 
  • Cabicular said:
    dindude said:
    Well I'm in hospital waiting for an op and bored so I just tried to read the LT manual. I'm really tempted but at the same time I think I will get lost for days, they overview a harmonic delay and there are 4 pages of parameters! For a delay! And the argument of not having to deep dive if you don't need to doesn't work with me, if it's there I want to know what it does. That's why I limit myself to 4 knobs per individual pedal on my board.

Basically, it's a completely different mindset to a grab and go board. You have everything you could ever wish for at your displosal and you need to "limit" yourself within this, vs having kit that has limitations but you squeeze every drop out of.

I've had the Helix since it launched and haven't read the manual once
    You really ought to try one 
    There's a manual?
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    TheMarlin said:
    No hurry...  I got burned with various Flextones, happy to wait it out.  My 5E3 is doing it for me at the moment.  
    Oh yes. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.