'always on' compressors

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I did a fair bit of searching through compressors ...

CS3, modded CS3, ST2, Ross Clone, MXR, Keeley, Analogman Comprosser, Analogman Juicer, Orange Squeezer Clone, Aphex Punch Factory and Rothwell.

For an always on Compressor that balances out the signal it has to be the Rothwell, it does what a studio compressor does... it can do squack too but nothing comes close to it for an always on compressor. So check out the Rothwell Love Squeeze - is my advice.

I got rid of mine to get a BiComprossor - mainly cos I wanted always on an squack options footswitched... adding the BiComp made me realise how much of the Zendrive's sound I used was compression - so the Zendrive suddenly sounded weak and was replaced with a Timmy.

I'm currently making loads of Orange Squeezers for 1590a enclosures.. predominantly just to have one myself ;) - I like this it's low tech, can do quiet and is a nice pedal - needs the right components mind...

The Keeley is a Ross clone (like the Comprossor) and so is really an opto compressor and I find they rob the dynamics in most implementations - sound okay with drive but I'm not a big fan otherwise..

Punch factory is pretty clean and has an XLR in if you use acoustic ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    I've used an 'always on' compressor for years now. I use it set subtly (so that it's not immediately obvious as far as the sound goes) but it just fattens things up slightly and, most importantly, gives a bit more response or 'juiciness' to the notes under the fingers. I find it especially useful when playing DI'd quietly at home - it gives just a bit more response and life to the guitar. If playing loud and live (which is rare for me these days) it might be less necessary.

I currently have a Rothwell Love Squeeze which is a stunning pedal - very, very quiet and super transparent and so ideal for 'always on use'. And I use it with the compression control barely above minimum.

I also use an old (discontinued) Trace Acoustic TAC1 on my electro-acoustic

It's great at softening the harshness of the under saddle piezo pickup.

The TAC1 is also great for recording bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    frankus;15123" said:
    I did a fair bit of searching through compressors ...

CS3, modded CS3, ST2, Ross Clone, MXR, Keeley, Analogman Comprosser, Analogman Juicer, Orange Squeezer Clone, Aphex Punch Factory and Rothwell.

For an always on Compressor that balances out the signal it has to be the Rothwell, it does what a studio compressor does... it can do squack too but nothing comes close to it for an always on compressor. So check out the Rothwell Love Squeeze - is my advice.

I got rid of mine to get a BiComprossor - mainly cos I wanted always on an squack options footswitched... adding the BiComp made me realise how much of the Zendrive's sound I used was compression - so the Zendrive suddenly sounded weak and was replaced with a Timmy.

I'm currently making loads of Orange Squeezers for 1590a enclosures.. predominantly just to have one myself ;) - I like this it's low tech, can do quiet and is a nice pedal - needs the right components mind...

The Keeley is a Ross clone (like the Comprossor) and so is really an opto compressor and I find they rob the dynamics in most implementations - sound okay with drive but I'm not a big fan otherwise..

Punch factory is pretty clean and has an XLR in if you use acoustic ;)
    Sorry can't really help the OPs question but keen to give a compressor a fair shot after all these years of being anti them. I'm considering a Diamond comp or the Bearfoot Pale green but wondered if the Love Squeeze would be comparable to these. I realise Frankus didn't mention them but would appreciate any feedback if you have.

Cheers for any help and I hope it gives the OP some more options.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    not tried those two - both seem to use vactrol opto-couplers rather than chips so they'll sound pretty interesting. Sorry I can't help.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom