! DO NOT READ THIS IF EASILY OFFENDED !

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22199
    edited April 2017
    kaypeejay said:
    That Professor Furedi. He sounds a bit , well, foreign doesn't he? Oh gawd, I must be racist.
    Born in Hungary, migrated to Canada, came to Britain in his early 20's. What's more, he co-founded the Revolutionary Communist Party and thought most of the Marxist groups of the time didn't like the IRA enough.  

Usual DM stuff. Fuck background and context, if he disagrees with one of their dislikes, he's good enough for them. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    edited April 2017
    cruxiform said:
    If you scroll to the bottom, there's a picture of Kim Kardashian's arse. Just saying.
    When isn't there one on DM-online ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I concur with the OP. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I struggle with eye contact, but I already knew I was racist
    My V key is broken
    holnrew said:
    I struggle with eye contact, but I already knew I was racist
    It's the eye contact thing which is actually the ridiculous element. Jazz hands isn't fucking odd. No more so than high fives and all of that stuff. But declaring that not making eye contact is a sign of racism... a reticence to make eye contact is something a lot of autistic people will know about. It's classic SJW horseshit, try to be so right on that you miss out on how you're effectively damning another group. One of my best friends is autistic and got involved in that world. She left it because she was sick of being patronised over everything from style to sexuality. 

• FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Why is "jazz hands" at all offensive or racist? It's just a way of applauding.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15556
    what if it's the drill sergent from Officer and gentlemen? He, on no uncertain terms, wants you to eyeball him.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Playing devils advocate for a moment would it not feel alienating if someone refused to make I contact? 

If it's true that is part of the treatment racists give to people they perceived as different enough could it not be something to look for (though not in isolation)? i.e. were you to see someone talking around someone, never making eye contact... (and other things) you might feel there's a chance to stand up for someone... 

If you go picking on anyone who doesn't look everyone in the eye the whole day you might be talking it too far... But might this not have appeared as a long list of tiny things that add up to making people feel uncomfortable but the DM have (strange as it might seem) blown it out of all proportion? 

Without a devils advocate hat on "micro agressions" is a term I hate. Being part of the LGBT+ community I've seen it a lot in reference to using gendered pronouns... Well maybe if you don't want me to make an assumption of your gender make up and a pretty dress were an odd choice... It's not micro aggressive it's just the way 7+ billion people were brought up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 293
    randella said:
    ICBM said:
    CabbageCat said:

I think most people already know not to read the Daily Mail if easily offended.
    Other way round - it thrives on its readership being easily offended, in an unthinking knee-jerk kind of way.
    It doesn't just thrive on it, their entire business model is predicated on a delicate balance of hatred, moral outrage, and lascivious celebrity clickbait. Take that away and all you're left with is a load of pisspoor rambling about not being able to take holidays in term-time and some fuzzy pictures of the side of Pippa Middleton's tits shot with a 600mm telephoto. 

They're very good at it, you have to hand it to them. 
    I agree with @randella The recent stance taken by Wikipedia towards Daily Mail articles says a lot.
    Myranda said:

If you go picking on anyone who doesn't look everyone in the eye the whole day you might be talking it too far... But might this not have appeared as a long list of tiny things that add up to making people feel uncomfortable but the DM have (strange as it might seem) blown it out of all proportion? 

Without a devils advocate hat on "micro agressions" is a term I hate. Being part of the LGBT+ community I've seen it a lot in reference to using gendered pronouns... Well maybe if you don't want me to make an assumption of your gender make up and a pretty dress were an odd choice... It's not micro aggressive it's just the way 7+ billion people were brought up

It might well feel alienating. But ther might be reasons for that person doing that. It's all about context and context is what so many of these pissweak articles lack. The author is a trainee journalist so not hugely experienced and pretty much just churning out clickbait online. 

Micro aggressions can fuck off. Irony intended.  

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3507
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Eye contact is really hard for me no matter the colour of the person. I can manage to maintain it for job interviews and other necessary situations but it makes me stressed and deeply uncomfortable. 
    My V key is broken
  • holnrew said:
    Eye contact is really hard for me no matter the colour of the person. I can manage to maintain it for job interviews and other necessary situations but it makes me stressed and deeply uncomfortable. 

Me too. I struggle with eye contact with anyone - not for any particular reason, it just makes me feel uncomfortable. 

But I can do it - I know that if I don't, especially in job interviews and such, I can come across as aloof. 
    holnrew said:
    And you are not alone. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-39742670

"It said it had made a mistake and not taken disabilities into account."

Oh really? I'd noticed that the newsletter in question didn't feature any OU disabled groups being mentioned. This is exactly the sort of thing I said earlier, where a group is so determined to be right on that they miss the obvious one. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited April 2017
    They've got smooth hands, I just ignore them, they're mouths are talking but their body language is saying the opposite.

Anyway the two headlines are self defeating, the very people they are trying to protect from clapping they are labeling as racists.

It's not like I go out of my way to rub against a suit who going to a wedding during the daytime when I'm covered in manure down the garage buying my fags.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    holnrew said:
    And you are not alone. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-39742670
    I love watching these dumbfucks eat their own.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    A serious concern, don't Jazz Hands 'alienate' the blind? They can join in on cheering and clapping, but they won't know if other people are doing Jazz Hands. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    holnrew said:
    My ex step daughter has Aspergers and, if she *did* make eye contact, it was fleeting.

Good to see Oxford have been called out on their silliness.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi