Joshua vs Klitschko

What's Hot
Anybody tuning into this? Any predictions?

I'm really looking forward to it and see it as a 50-50 fight. Lots of questions as it's a big step up for Joshua and relatively early in his career.

On the other hand Wlad has been out of the ring for 18 months, he's getting on a bit and the Fury fight was a terrible performance. Then again Joshua certainly doesn't have the same skillset as Fury, though his offensive artillery is very impressive.

Can't wait!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Weve done a predictor at work.

Couple of quid in. Winner. In what Round. What time in the round.

Im the only person in my office that has gone for VK...2 mins 37 seconds of round 9.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited April 2017
    The problem for Joshua is what happens if Klitschko manges to hit him a few times. So far he's won quite easily without any really hard fights in terms of people battering him. Klitschko maybe ring rusty but he's a hard bastard and he has experience on his side. If he can get through the first three rounds he'll fancy his chances.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Nikko said:

Im the only person in my office that has gone for VK...2 mins 37 seconds of round 9.

You're the only one that picked WK at all or just at 2 mins 37 seconds of round 9?
    celentium said:
    Nikko said:

You're the only one that picked WK at all or just at 2 mins 37 seconds of round 9?

Im the only one that picked him at all :)

• celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    I think your colleagues may be in for a big surprise :)

I'd like to wish you luck but although I'd pick WK if I had to put money on it, I'm rooting for Joshua to win. I do like WK though, seems like a gentleman.

@Fretwired - Agree with your analysis. Whyte clipped Joshua with a left hook and hurt him, however Whyte hasn't shown much fire power since. If Klitschko can land one of his left hooks (which is an absolute weapon) or a right hand then Joshua is going to sleep I think.

I've no idea how Klitschko is going to look though. If he's gun shy with slow feet then Joshua will blitz him.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4264
    Klitschko probably has the skills to frustrate Joshua's and spoil his work. It's dull to watch sometimes, but it is definitely a skill. And Joshua didn't look too clever when Whyte clipped him, so chin a little bit questionable. However, AJ is very fast, hits very hard, so if I was betting, would go for Joshua win in first 2 rounds. If he doesn't manage that, maybe fancy Klitschko in 7th or 8th. Not sure age will be a factor if it gets to later rounds etc. The amount of muscle both these guys carry around, they will be both be knackered by half way anyway if it's any sort of decent fight.

Will definitely be tuning in for the spectacle though!
    Plus, Joshua has never been beyond 7 rounds, so if Klitschko can frustrate him and do the boring tactical job on him, he will be favourite in the later rounds, I think.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    it's an interesting match up, Klitschko was terrible against Tyson Fury with his unique style, maybe he will be more at home against a more orthodox fighter like Joshua.
    It's a rare fight where i like both fighters, they both seem like genuine decent blokes and they are both big enough to put the other one away with one shot.
    I'd like a late AJ win, so Klitschko goes out with his head up and Joshua can move on and cement himself as the world champ.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15556
    while I clearly want joshua to win, you gotta admire klitschko, to still be the man to beat at his age is super impressive.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    VimFuego said:
    while I clearly want joshua to win, you gotta admire klitschko, to still be the man to beat at his age is super impressive.
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Klitschko has been a good champ and a thoroughly decent bloke as well. Everyone's time comes to an end and he has had a great run of it overall. I really hope that Joshua is the future though.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7809
    edited April 2017
    Something tells me that WK is going to be really hungry for this. He never took fury seriously and lost but I think he will have too much guile for AJ. AJ is a very good boxer and has power to beat anyone but has to land early in this one. He needs to get WK thinking he will lose and force him to open up a bit. However I'd go WK on points and a really dull fight.
  • I think WK on points but I'm hoping for an exciting fight. Will be watching
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    I`m looking forward to this, both good fighters.

Think an AJ win is on the cards, he is great for the sport, young and fighting regularly. You can dismiss the Whyte fight as that was a scrap and not a boxing match, AJ got drawn into it.

Klitschko likes to spoil and steal and in that respect I hope it isn`t a slow chess match.

As said above it is rare to like both fighters, both humble and respectful and is a fight I`m happy to give Sky Box office £20 for.

Mike Tyson ruined boxing in 1985 by being so bloody good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24443
    I'm tempted, but also I've paid for Sky PPV before for boxing only to have a quick knockout.

I know that's the risks, but even so staying up to stupid o'clock to watch 2 mins for £20 is a bit of a let down.
  • BradBrad Frets: 662
    I'm working which I'm gutted about. 

Heart says Joshua, head says Klitschko. 

I think it will depend on how well Joshua deals with somebody not freezing in front of him (but that is bloody understandable!) and fires back with the experience and ring craft that Klitschko has. 

Also whether the Fury fight broke Klitschko at all. You can see a fighter age before your very eyes and I wonder if that happened with Wlad. I've read this week he had some heavy personal stuff at the time of the Fury bout too. Then again it could really have ignited his competitive edge which I think it has. 

I'd recommend the Klitschko film for anyone who hasn't seen it. They've got a lot of shit over the years but it's a great story. They come across as really decent guys and great ambassadors for boxing. 
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4723
    I'm tempted, but also I've paid for Sky PPV before for boxing only to have a quick knockout.

I know that's the risks, but even so staying up to stupid o'clock to watch 2 mins for £20 is a bit of a let down.

I think you have to embrace the whole event with all the undercards really, I'm sure there will be some good fights even if the headline isn't one of them.

I was going to get it but we've got a gig now, on at 9-11 so I'm going to bloody miss it.

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    As with any Joshua fight, the outcome is very difficult to predict, as  AJ so far has had a very strange career in he has become champion without ever being tested with the Whyte fight being his trickiest to date.  

It's really difficult to work out how WK will fare having been out of the ring for 18 months. TF pretty much played WK at his own game of using his reach to prevent him from getting many punches in.  AJ doesn't have the height issue on his hands, but for a Super Heavyweight AJ is pretty quick.  

I think there's a chance both boxers will be uncomfortable at the prospect of the fight going the distance, AJ for his inexperience past the 7th and WK for his time out of the ring/age.  

I can't predict the outcome, but I will predict the fight will be AJ's biggest toughest test to date in his career.  

The only aspect to the fight which I am a bit disappointed by is the undercard isn't the most exciting.  Should be a good one nonetheless though. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 987
    I will be tuning in & the fight being in the UK, means that it won't be on at a daft time, like the Las Vegas fights usually are. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1953
    I like em both, but I also feel that the younger man will win.