FRFR amps

What's Hot
I use an Atomic AmpliFire 3 for my amp tones and I'm looking for an FRFR amp that is compact, light and will be used mainly in the home but possibly have some live use. As even PA speakers colour the sound, the only options I can think of at a reasonable price are:

Laney IRT-X
Boss Katana
Line6 Amplifi

Has anybody got any experience of this sort of thing who could help me out?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24443
    There's a thread on FRFR powered cabs in the FX section.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited April 2017
    None of the ones you posted are true FRFR...

You can get some good PA speakers that are FRFR, and they're usually better value for money than the purpose made FRFR cabs from the likes of Atomic and Camper etc.

If you're looking for a cheap option, it's not true FRFR, but a little popular hack from the Kemper forums is the Fender Mustang III or greater. On the 3, 4 or 5 you can turn off both amp and cab sims, turning it into a powered speaker, it's not truly FRFR, but compares well against the budget options.
  • Jack_ said:
    You can get some good PA speakers that are FRFR, and they're usually better value for money than the purpose made FRFR cabs from the likes of Atomic and Camper etc.

What are these? As many PA speakers do colour the sounds, to which PA FRFR speakers are you referring? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    A keyboard amp will be more FRFR than anything else in a combo format.

Roland do a few different sizes which seem to be pretty good, although they aren't all that light. You can get most (and other brands) second hand for peanuts, they don't hold their value well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited April 2017
    Speakers marketed as FRFR colour the sound like PA speakers do...all speakers do and you usually get what you pay for.  I use a good co-axial speaker (RCF TT25-CXA) which colors less than most.

I prefer coaxial designs because up close I can localise the horn and woofer in a traditional two way box.  
  • Slartibartfarst42Slartibartfarst42 Frets: 30
    edited May 2017
    I read that thread with interest and was surprised the Yamaha came out so well as Andertons used one of those with an Atomic when they compared it to an Atomic CLR and a conventional valve amp and the Yamaha was easily the worst. It just sounded dead. Nevertheless, as everything sounds so much better through my headphones, I still feel that moving to something that is closer to FRFR must be better. To that end, I've compiled a list of options in my price range that I could try so is there anything here that just isn't good for what I want to use it for or is there something I've missed out that would be good?

Laney IRT-X
    Alto TS210
    Alto TS212
    Mackie SRM350
    Electro Voice EV ZLX12P
    Mackie SRM450
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3765
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I read that thread with interest and was surprised the Yamaha came out so well as Andertons used one of those with an Atomic when they compared it to an Atomic CLR and a conventional valve amp and the Yamaha was easily the worst. It just sounded dead. Nevertheless, as everything sounds so much better through my headphones, I still feel that moving to something that is closer to FRFR must be better. To that end, I've compiled a list of options in my price range that I could try so is there anything here that just isn't good for what I want to use it for or is there something I've missed out that would be good?

Laney IRT-X
    Alto TS210
    Alto TS212
    Mackie SRM350
    Electro Voice EV ZLX12P
    Mackie SRM450
    I wouldn't read too much in to a video review on YouTube, the DXR10 sounds fantastic, is pretty neutral, my patches created on studio monitors work very well on the DXR10, and they are very loud