Katana 100 first gig with it

What's Hot
midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
very pleased, played Pitsea w.m. club capacoity about 200 probably about 100 there, plenty loud enough set to 50w. only downside im use to 212 behinfd me so 1 12 speaker didnt quite feel as good but the sounds were there. i used it clean and drives and effects were care of my zoom g3. real pleasure afterwards not lugging the laney 212 back to the car. got two gigs next weeknd so will experiment a bit more beforehand
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11794
    Good to know I could use my 50w for gigs! :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2775
    Mic'd, into PA or just plugged in and used as it is ?
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    just plugged in, NOT pa'd, i used it on the 50w seeting and volume was about a third the way up, i suspect the 50w katana would be loud enough, we are not a particularly loud band though i add.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beerbeer Frets: 24
    Loving my 50w. Cleans are amazing.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    beer said:
    Loving my 50w. Cleans are amazing.
    Agree with this. I'm generally looking for a slightly hairy clean tone to stack pedals on top of and the little Katana is brilliant for that.  Really brilliant. It's a revolutionary amp. 

First gig for it on Friday. 50w should be enough but we shall see. Glad to hear the 100w made it through on 50w. 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Seems like Katana's are old news now but I've got a 2x12" combo incoming tomorrow with the GA-FC pedalboard on back order.

I'm trying to keep my expectations in check: If it'll do for rehearsals (and I'm confident it will) I'll be happy, if it can sub for the Blackstar Series 1 head, large 2x12 cab, and four-cable pedalboard rig in places where space is tight and/or we need to be on/off quickly (and I think it's very likely it will, in fact this is the scenario which made me plump for the 2x12 version) I'll be delighted, any more than that and I'll be over the moon...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ive now done 3 gigs and 2 rehearsals with mine. Im not dissapointed. it works well for my band set up. i can tell its not the same as my laney vc30 but no one else can. im finding the 112 100 watt plenty loud enough. I need to explore the effects and settings. i have just bought a used GA-FC footswitch on the bay so waiting for that to arrive.
  • beowulfbeowulf Frets: 44
    How much did you pay for the GA-FC? Was it a BIN or bid? cheers
    it was a BIN £49 inc postage, they are £85 new if you can find one
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Bloody Hell! - If this thing sounds half as good at volume as it did in the office I'm going to be a very happy bunny!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    JayGee said:
    Bloody Hell! - If this thing sounds half as good at volume as it did in the office I'm going to be a very happy bunny!
    had no problem with volume playing a social club approx 150 people . at 50w setting about a 3rd the way up.  i think these are loud amps not like some  solid state amps where 100 watts seem about as loud as 10 watt valve amps. if you got the 212 one i think youd be laughing. more importantly the tones are good, although ive got to get to grip with them, im using it exclusively on clean and getting my drives from the zoom g3. once i get the footswitch il start using the channels
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Yeah they are loud as :)
    spoke to soon, the ebay seller who i bought the pedal off has just told me the pedal isnt working so hes issuinfg a refund. maybe hes had a better offer i think, il probably spring for a new one
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    spoke to soon, the ebay seller who i bought the pedal off has just told me the pedal isnt working so hes issuinfg a refund. maybe hes had a better offer i think, il probably spring for a new one
    He's definitely had a better offer!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

usedtobe said:
    He's definitely had a better offer!

maybe, although the picture of it looks a bit battered so perhaps im better off getting a new one anyway.

• beowulfbeowulf Frets: 44
    £49 inc did seem too good to be true, hard luck
    beowulf said:
    £49 inc did seem too good to be true, hard luck
    it did but the picture showed it looking a bit battered and abused so maybe just as well.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I think you might be right! For the sake of another 40 quid, or so, you'll have something new, and guaranteed.. If it looks that battered, maybe it didn't work, after all...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I confess that I haven't tried a Katana myself but I've certainly noticed that there have been some excellent reviews of them so for an affordable modelling amp they seem like a great buy.
    I confess that I haven't tried a Katana myself but I've certainly noticed that there have been some excellent reviews of them so for an affordable modelling amp they seem like a great buy.
    not sure its really a modelling amp as it doesnt copy models of amps, correct me if im wrong.
    Ive now gigged mine 4 times and rehearsed it twice. im pleased with it but tbh i still prefer the tones and feel of my laney vc30.  whether because its valves, or 212 speakers or im still getting use to the katana i cant say. its a cracking amp but there is a lot of hype over it. I will continue gigging it for now because the laney is too big and heavy for me.