Chickenpox

What's Hot
monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
At the grand old age of 47 I've finally succumbed to chickenpox.
Never knew it was this bad. Went to bed Saturday afternoon and got up today - tired, nauseous, headache and of course covered in spots.

Any idea how long this lasts in adults?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    I had it age 21 and it lasted 2 weeks or so, first week feeling like I'd been run over by a train, the second so itchy that I frequently immersed myself in a bath of cool water just to get relief from the itching .... good luck!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17639
    tFB Trader
    I had it last year. Ended up getting a load of horrible secondary infections and feeling shit for about 6 months.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Oh great  :s
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3083
    I had it when I was 28 - about a month from start to finish. I had a fortnight off work. Very rough indeed for the first week. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Got it pretty much bang on 5 years ago at the grand age of 28. 

Was pretty unpleasant and took about 3 weeks from the initial illness starting to the spots clearing up. 

On the plus side you now have this to look forward to:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/100865/top-tip-shingles-content#latest

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17639
    tFB Trader
    monofin said:
    Oh great  :s

I got Ill with the infection before I got spots so you are probably fine.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6840
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader
    I had it for the first time 2 years ago at 34. Caught it off my 2 year old.

I genuinely thought I was going to die.

I had spots everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE. I went deaf in my left ear as there were blisters on my eardrums which left me with a mild tinnitus and I spent 4 weeks in bed. My skin still hasn't properly recovered, I get very dry patches on my face and occasionally I can't feel my scalp at all.

Best bit of advice I found on the internet one night when I couldn't sleep is take as much Vitamin C as you can stand. I got my wife to buy me 100 odd tablets which i'd taken within 3 days and that REALLY helped me. 

Also, bathing in a bath with dried oats helps the blisters dry up.

I really feel for you. It's fucking shit.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Electro_HamElectro_Ham Frets: 102
    It's a breeze the younger you are. It is sheer hell the older you are. As a 14 year old I felt as if I was piXXing hot glass.
    I guess it must be like piXXing molten lava at 47.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12375
    My Bro in law was hospitalised with it a few years ago, still has the scarring on his face. Thought his number was up he was that ill.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    The scary thing with chicken pox is that what you see on the outside is also happening on the inside. Got my kids vaccinated as getting it as an adult is more than shit.
    I can honestly say I've never felt so ill - never! Feeling a bit more human today but the spots are everywhere and I mean everywhere. Even taking a pee is a major event due to the pain involved and my face feels like it covered in molten lava
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    I missed my school disco because of chickenpox so think yourself fucking lucky.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I missed my school disco because of chickenpox so think yourself fucking lucky.
    I'd have put that down as a result in my teen years
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    edited May 2017
    I had it at 18. Lasted a couple of weeks, it was a nightmare, it affected my throat badly and I couldn't swallow food or drink, it was deeply uncomfortable. I lost a lot of weight!
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    monofin said:
    Never knew it was this bad. Went to bed Saturday afternoon and got up today - tired, nauseous, headache and of course covered in spots.

I had it at around 30 (now a few decades ago). Similar to you, I was in bed for a couple of days with what I'd describe as being like extreme flu.

The worst bit for me was a day or so after, stabbing pains in the wrists which just wouldn't go away. I would guess arthritis may be like that. At that point my doctor  prescribed me painkillers (1000mg paracetamol, I think) which was enough for 2-3 days, by then the joint pain was gone.

The spots started around this time and were unbelievably itchy - don't scratch them though.  In my case I had a lot of them on my head and every time I showered there was slime coming off them. (Hate to think what my scalp looks like now, under my hair.)

At the time I fancied myself as being pretty fit. Not sure how I'd cope with it at fifty... :(

(Fortunately haven't had any follow on stuff like shingles, etc.)

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Hope you feel better soon man.

I had it at 33 and it wasn't as bad as some of the guys above but was pretty unpleasant, whole body covered including the soles of my feet :(

I felt rough for 2 weeks and had 3 weeks off work. Avoid scratching and when you are feeing a bit better have some fun by scaring the crap out of the postman when you answer the door :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    photek said:

Avoid scratching and when you are feeing a bit better have some fun by scaring the crap out of the postman when you answer the door :)

Lol.  Did anyone see "Deadpool"? :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lil update. Have ended up in hospital for a couple of days. At least that have better drugs but I'm sick of people saying"wow that's the most severe case of chickenpox I've seen"
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    monofin said:
    Lil update. Have ended up in hospital for a couple of days. At least that have better drugs but I'm sick of people saying"wow that's the most severe case of chickenpox I've seen"
    Ooh dear. Get well soon!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Could be worse. The pox's could be really small.

(seriously - GWS man!)