Alnico V staple soap bar pickup - UK builders?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10532
    tFB Trader
    Some SD Custom Shop pickups are awkward to obtain because the ordering process is needlessly convoluted.
    • Customer chooses options on SD website. 
    • Customer prints out pickup description order form. 
    • Customer hands form to SD retailer. 
    • Retailer forwards form to UK distributor. 
    • UK distributor places order with SD. 
    • Order takes its place in the queue. 
    • Eight weeks later, the finished product reaches the UK. 

Lack of direct customer-to-CS communication means that what you get might not be exactly what you thought you had requested.

In order to comply with RoHS regulations, pickup manufacturers are obliged to use lead-free solder. I suspect that some of the unique constructional aspects of the Staple demand good old-fashioned 60/40 leaded rosin core solder. 
    One of my customers ... a prestige UK luthier ... waited for three months for his SD custom shop 7 string angled humbuckers to arrive ... when they did, the baseplate angles were wrong, so he sent me the pickups to correct them. Needless to say he no longer uses SD Custom Shop. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6140
    I notice that Sweetwater are selling the SD version on ebay.com.. would there be any problem getting on from there?  i.e. with customs?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    One question comes to mind regarding the Phil X video I posted above; what is creating the change in tone on the P480 when he turns the volume control up and down ?
    Phil: "That's really special, right there."
    (between 2:00 and 2:30 on the video)

Any idea about that Ash ?
    @TheGuitarWeasel

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14475
    One of my customers ... a prestige UK luthier ... waited for three months for his SD custom shop 7 string angled humbuckers to arrive ... when they did, the baseplate angles were wrong, so he sent me the pickups to correct them. Needless to say he no longer uses SD Custom Shop. 
    Over a decade ago, in a galaxy far away, when the SD CS took direct mail orders from the UK, I ordered a "Strat-Tele" pickup. (The precursor of their Twang Banger For Stratocaster production line model.) It arrived with its magnets uncharged. To this day, I cannot be certain whether this was a production oversight or over-zealous Customs scanning?

I charged the magnets myself.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom