UK to USA wallwart supply for USA Voodoo ISO5

JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
have picked up a USA Voodoo ISO-5 ebay giddiness after beers - came with small ( read housebrick n weight)  uk 240 to 120 V AC supply - so want to replace with something much smaller ie wallwart or dinky inline converter 

any recommendations or watchouuts? 

Cheers un advance 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    @ICBM  - any suggestions?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    What's the power draw of the supply? Annoyingly the spec sheet just says 'marked on the bottom of the unit'. If it's less than 45W, there's a neat stepdown transformer you can get for under a tenner...

http://www.yourspares.co.uk/parts/ys88777/step-down-voltage-converter-230v--110v-45w--uk-version-stepdown-240v-120v--uk2us45va-651001UK.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Google+Products&gaw=agid:15559510397,c:46435345397&gclid=CN-Ynoz0gtQCFcKfGwod2gANIQ

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM - thanks for prompt reply - I've got unit here n no indication of power draw - I've mailed Voodoo lab directly .

In general are these wallwart units safe to use ? also the USA power supply actual has an IEC kettle plug ie 3 pin - would this be compatible with a two pin step down and am I likely to induce hum of any sorts ? 

Many thanks for your advice ..
    a voodoo lab forum answer says a fully loaded ISO-5 pulls less than 20W so if that confirmed - then the 2 pin to 3 pin / earth question is my only concern .. appreciate your wisdom on this 
    JMP220478 said:
    a voodoo lab forum answer says a fully loaded ISO-5 pulls less than 20W so if that confirmed - then the 2 pin to 3 pin / earth question is my only concern .. appreciate your wisdom on this 
    Does the supplied cable have an earth pin on it?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

yes ..
    In that case to be fully compliant with regulations you need a stepdown with a through earth connection.

The smallest ones that seem to come like that are the next size up, 100W - 

https://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=avsl_651004uk&sid=6br270i8z62370423b3j1b6m87545390

- which are approaching half-brick size again.

But you can also get the 45W type with a blind hole in the casing. Technically that isn't quite right since it means the cable and probably the casing of the power supply won't be earthed, but it has no real bearing on the safety of the power supply since the outlets aren't earthed (or it would cause a ground loop with your amp).

You'll actually find a marked hole on the casing of the 2-pin ones that you can drill through if you want...

Thanks for advice - I've just seen one of the 3pin  types on ebay for peanuts ( £6 inc delivery ) - so have picked that one up n will see how that goes ..

many thanks for your time .. 

No problem, it's a common enough question that it didn't take a lot of research :).