Port City Pearl 50W Head

What's Hot
gitapikgitapik Frets: 19
I did a search and didn't see much on this amp. So I figured I'd open up a discussion:

I bought a Pearl 50w head with a 1x12 OS Wave cab a couple of years ago. I'd been using a Boogie Mark IIB combo for decades (Fender Twin before that) as a main amp and just decided it was time to split the weight (and still lose some lbs as well). 

Both the Boogie and Fender are great clean tone amps. I won't say that the Pearl is "better", because those other two amps were wonderful and had characters of their own. But I will say that it's just as good with a unique sound all it's own. And it might be an even better pedal platform.

I miss the reverb tank (less so when playing loud), but have pedals for that and/or delay. 

The OS Wave cab is excellent, btw, in terms of creating a bigger sound that still maintains focus. Closed back that allows the bass notes, trapped in the back, to escape in a controlled manner is really effective.

Anyone else have a Pearl? I love mine. Got lots of pedals, and have to say that the XTS Preamp is ridiculous through it. At any volume.

G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Pics?
  • gitapikgitapik Frets: 19
    edited May 2017
    G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Looks awesome, quality build. Just saw their website too.
    Thanks.

Daniel knows his stuff and he definitely sweats the details. Great guy, too. 

I really love this rig. My old Boogie had a beautiful warmth to it's cleans while the Twin had that spacious sound. This Pearl has an airy quality but it has a focus to it that's hard to describe. And it works so well with OD/Distortion pedals that are meant to interact with a clean amp. The XTS stuff is perfect. 

Lightweight for what it does. Sweet.

Got mine used from a guy, nearby. Good deal.

One of these days I'll record some clips. Sorry, but not done yet.
    G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
    Hmmm...shot's a little out of focus. Might have to replace it...

G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Is it more suited to playing Bach than other composers?
     :) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    :)

It's actually perfect for Bach! He's a major endorser. 

Those are his Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin. They translate very well to electric guitar. Both clean and OD. 

Besides being genius pieces of music, they're also great for developing and maintaining technique.
    G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"