Very Nice HSS Setup Indeed

What's Hot
gitapikgitapik Frets: 19
edited May 2017 in Guitar
I was thinking seriously about selling some gear and buying a very expensive boutique guitar. 

But I ended up getting a used MusicMan Silhouette Special (I really like these guitars) and splurged on a new set of pickups, instead:

Lollar Blackfaces in the neck and middle. 

Tyler "Secret" humbucker in the bridge. 

I'm so into this setup. The Lollars are hot but keep that vintage vibe and the Tyler is a little more subtle than other humbuckers but it still burns mightily!

The result is a really nice balanced setup. 

G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited May 2017
    Pics n a demo please - very interested in the finished article as Im a SSS  silhouette special owner and currently in modification process to a HSS format - you making yours into a Tyler ? what changes did you make to control section ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14375
    tFB Trader
    I think the Silhouette Special models are seriously under-rated - A fluid and easy  playing experience - Yet to me the biggest let down is the factory pick-ups on such models - Designed for the USA country market so snap and clear but far to thin for me - So when you change the pick-ups to something more conventional I think they move up a gear - I've had a few nice used examples in the store with such changes and sound far more musical and 'organic' with such changes
    edited May 2017
    I think the Silhouette Special models are seriously under-rated - A fluid and easy  playing experience - Yet to me the biggest let down is the factory pick-ups on such models - Designed for the USA country market so snap and clear but far to thin for me - So when you change the pick-ups to something more conventional I think they move up a gear - I've had a few nice used examples in the store with such changes and sound far more musical and 'organic' with such changes
    Ive got an 'lil59 in bridge atm - instant improvement for sure 
    though struggling to get official HSS scratchplate atm to do my sss to hss mods / uk distributors proving nxt to useless (
  • gitapikgitapik Frets: 19
    edited May 2017
    JMP220478 said:
    Pics n a demo please - very interested in the finished article as Im a SSS  silhouette special owner and currently in modification process to a HSS format - you making yours into a Tyler ? what changes did you make to control section ? 
    I'll take some nice shots this weekend and post them. Only shot I have, to date, is how it looked when I first got it:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/guitapick/embed/slideshow/Silo"></iframe>

Getting me to provide some clips might take a little longer but I'll see what I can do.

Agreed about the under-rated aspect of these guitars. I was at Sam Ash in Manhattan, checking out some Suhr, Anderson, and PRS models. Fantastic guitars but they'll cost you. On my way out I noticed they had a new Silo Special HSS. I used to have a '90s Silo with a Floyd and remembered how much I loved the way it played, so I sat down and plugged it into a big Blackstar. Made my decision right there, though I felt bad that I didn't give the sales guy a commission. Good dude...but I knew I could get one used for half the price.

I'm in agreement about the stock pickups. They're jack of all trades, but fall extra short with the heavier stuff. The one I got had an Area 61 in the neck, Area 58 in the middle, and AT-1 in the bridge. The wiring was all kinds of screwed up...but, whatever. Original owner didn't engage the silent circuit, having the silent pickups in there. I liked them, but wasn't sold. I like the silent circuit better, if I'm going to cut the hum. You can adjust how much you want to cut, which helps to keep the highs intact. I wasn't sold on the look of the zebra AT-1 (sounds good though), so I went on a pickup search. (Ended up selling the original set).

Met this guy on a forum (from the UK, btw) who had a Silo Special wired standard like a Strat (lived with the hum). He loved the Tyler and was very into the Suhr V60LP singles. I already knew I wanted the Lollars (friend has them in a Strat), but did a leap of faith on the Tyler and haven't been disappointed. At all. The main thing for me with this guitar, is to have a good balance for leads. I want to play leads that switch between the bridge and neck without that big volume dropoff and that's what this provides. 

I've got it wired stock: 

1 = bridge
    2 = bridge and split bridge
    3 = neck and split bridge
    4 = neck and middle
    5 = neck

I had problems with a dead spot between the 3 and the 2 caused by a loose super switch (need the super switch for this setup and the silent circuit). Got one from the dealer and it's working fine, now. 

I really dig the 3 for lighter leads and very much for rhythm. Think Tele 2 position. 

Weakest link is the 2 if you're looking for that pronounced Strat quack. Split humbuckers aren't as good as singles to begin with and the Lollars are a little too powerful. It's still a really nice sound...especially with OD. But if you're looking for Knopfler, this won't do it for you. I've got a sweet Strat, so it's not an issue for me.

I liked the tortoise shell guard but wanted black (remember: I'd sold some gear and was considering paying a LOT more for a boutique...so I treated myself, here). I ordered one from these guys:

http://pickguards.us/pgordinst.htm

My tech had to play with it a little, but got it right without a problem. They're well regarded and ship internationally, if you're interested. 

This is a great ax. I'm thinking of getting a used Silo hardtail and putting two VERY powerful humbuckers in there, at some point. Have to sell something, first, though. 

And that's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
    Btw:

will someone tell me if you can check out more than the Silo photo in my library through that link? I'm not sure how photobucket works and would like to keep my full library private. 

Thanks. 
    G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
    gitapik said:
    Btw:

will someone tell me if you can check out more than the Silo photo in my library through that link? I'm not sure how photobucket works and would like to keep my full library private. 

Thanks. 

PM'd
    Very interested in seeing / hearing the finished piece - thanks for sharing - did you stay with original pots / cap values / molex connector ?

Also did you sell the original pickups with  the scratch - cos otherwise I could be interested . 

heres a link to mine - now has a black SD 'Lil 59 in bridge 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/41299/ngd-mm-silo-sss#latest
    All original pots, cap values/molex connector. 

I asked my tech about setting the humbucker to 500k.He said that particular Tyler model is pretty bright to begin with and noted that the AT-1 that was already in it had been assigned the same 250k. That AT-1 sounded great, so I told him to stick with the original value.

I sold the Areas and AT-1 last month after about 6 months on craigslist and reverb.com. Socked the money away into me music fund (my wife hates my music fund, heheheh). Sorry. Those were nice pickups but I'm very happy with the Duncans in my Strat (despite the hum) and LP. And the G&L pickups aren't going anywhere, ever. Those are very cool pickups, btw. Cross between a P90 and single. I love that guitar.

That's a beautiful Silo. Haven't heard the 'Lil 59, yet, but I'm a big fan of SD pickups. Looks like a birds eye fingerboard? Looks great!

How do you like that JP6? I might go for that instead of a used Silo. Stock pickups?

G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
    Shame re pickups - I would of had them - did you sell the scratchplate too? 

I didnt get on with the JP6 - played well - neck profile very similar to Ibanez Jem wizard , 20" radius , wider fingerboard and shallower depth than silo special ;? stupid low action  etc but didnt gel with basswood / stock pickup sound .
    Sold to forum member .

I also had what I hoped was the perfect superstrat - a full r/w neck Luke L3 HSS but I didnt bond with the rosewood neck feel n profile - to me the silo works best so far .

im after an axis though as those Ive played so far have sounded great / like the small format n the neck is not dissimilar to the SS. 

My old Silo with the Floyd had a beautiful maple board. I loved everything about that guitar other than the Floyd. 

The rosewood board on my Silo is very, very comfortable. I've gotten to where I like maple better, at this point, but my first and only electric for a decade was my LP and, as a long time acoustic player, switching to rosewood is pretty easy. 

Axis is a kickass ax. I'd want a hardtail, though. I just don't get along with a Floyd. I end up getting very anal and the next thing you know, the little knobs are maxed out and I've gotta start all over again. Shame, as they're very useful.

I'm going to hold on to the scratchplate. Not totally sold on the black one I replaced it with. Going to get some black screws and see if that makes a difference. Thinking I might not have liked the tortoiseshell because of the zebra bucker. Not sure. Tell me what you think when you see the pix, later.
    G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
    edited May 2017

Still having trouble just putting a nice private shot up here that can't access my library, so here are some links using a different site/method. First shot is how it first looked:

https://s25.postimg.org/8i3enk71b/IMG_6226.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/53l87fbmn/IMG_0035.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/hw9c7cn8f/IMG_0037.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/nygyxubof/IMG_0042.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/6mgmcei73/IMG_0043.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/vtricnlb3/IMG_0045.jpg 

G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
    edited May 2017
    I like the blackplate - is that the final pickup config ? Tasteful 

Although - I've already bought a zebra trembucker JB HB for mine - but youve tuned me into idea of the Tyler style setup 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    I made a set neck hard tail strat style
    It's all limba with a rosewood board
    I did direct mount pickups, mojo's btw
    Split coil paf bridge 2 60's strat pickups
    I also did 2 vol 1 master tone
    I really like this configuration as it's still strat like but the paf is great for lead or roll the volume down to match the single coil volumes then turn up for solos

It's an ongoing project for a future model and I'll change the neck next  
    It's also got a bigger 59 style neck for gibbo lovers

Can't go wrong with hss imo
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Got any pix? Sounds awesome. I like the two volume controls on an S body. Easier to get at than on an LP. 
    G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23104
    It's funny, I was reading about the Tyler "Secret" humbucker today - having never heard of it before - and now I see this thread.  Nice guitar!
    Philly_Q said:
    It's funny, I was reading about the Tyler "Secret" humbucker today - having never heard of it before - and now I see this thread.  Nice guitar!
    Thanks, Philly. 

"It is your destiny!"

G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader
    gitapik said:
    Got any pix? Sounds awesome. I like the two volume controls on an S body. Easier to get at than on an LP. 
    I'll get some links up, I've also got a sound clip
    It's played by Ramon goose a great player 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Niiiiiiice...!
    Great sound straight into the amp. 
    I love the 3 and 3 headstock. Easy bends. 
    Looking forward to more links. What's the weight?
    G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
    Compliments to Ramon, btw. Really fine player
    G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"
    tFB Trader
    Yeah Ramon is a monster player 
    I had to ask him to do that style as he gets bored, I'll be doing more with him

It's fairly light I'd say around 7.5lb
    I've lent it to someone and I'll weigh it when I get it back
    I also want to change the neck as I fancy a bubinga neck and board

The headstock has been a mixed reaction but I've made it slightly wider now to straight the 2 e strings out
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom