Wiring problem - SG

Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
So, I bought an SG that had EMGs in it, and me no likey EMGs, so I've put some DiMarzio PAFs in it.

It's all wired correctly and working, but I have a small fault that I can't fully diagnose.

If I turn the volume all the way down, and then turn it back up, the output gets all scratchy and quiet, until I give the knob a tap and then it's normal again.

My first thought was that the pot is damaged. However, it does exactly on the same on the volume pot for both pickups... and it seems unlikely that both are damaged in the same way?

The only other thing I can think of that impacts connects the two volume pots at any point in the chain is the hot wire from the selector switch to the output jack, but it's all wired and soldered fine, I've given all the connections a gentle pull and there's nothing loose.

Suggestions? Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 666
    tFB Trader
    I'd think it's a physical connection between the pot case and the signal somewhere, and knocking it moves it away.
    That would be my start point.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72740
    It does actually sound like it might be both pots, unlikely though that may be…

Either that or something to do with the switch or the output jack - although if it's tapping the pots that fixes it it's still most likely the pots, even though the vibration will transfer through the body too.

If it's *not* the pots, look for a stray whisker of solder or wire shorting something to ground between the switch and the jack.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robertyroberty Frets: 10909
    Maybe some solder got inside the pot cases?
  • Paul_LPaul_L Frets: 52
    Also possibly a dry solder joint. You can try resoldering by adding some fresh solder to each joint. Also maybe check that any previous soldering hasn't melted away some insulation and exposed a bare wire. 
    Maintained it for 20 years. This old guitar's had 17 new necks and 14 new bodies in its time.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14599
    Remote diagnosis requires some idea of what schematic diagram you followed and pics of your actual wiring.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.