Suhr Modern Pro

OnparOnpar Frets: 418
Think about a Suhr Pro Modern (or Satin) and wondering if anyone has any experience of them?
I play in a functions band and need something with great cleans but then the ability to play piercing solos and rock covers. The modern Pro seems to be a good fit as I do like the modern features such as locking tuners, compound radius fretboard etc. The closest thing I currently own is an Ibanez RG570 but the cleans let it down IMO. Interested to know your thoughts.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33845
    edited May 2017
    I have two of the moderns- one with a Gotoh Floyd and one with a Gotoh 510FE trem.
    Both in HSH.

They are excellent guitars and are brilliantly playable.
    In hindsight I don't really need the Floyd- the 510FE is just as stable and capable as the Floyd, without the hassle of a locking nut.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited May 2017
    They're excellent, not much more need be said.

Your RG would probably do the same job though with the right pickups and amp settings...
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 247
    I had a Modern Satin and currently use an old RG and S prestige. There's not a lot in it really... my RG has evolutions in it which I love. I suppose the cool thing about the Suhr was that it could do everything, was super light and the Gotoh 510 trem was excellent... bad points for me was it lacked low end wallop and the note f# wouldn't sustain without jumping up an octave during its decay.
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 418
    Thanks for the advice chaps. How do you find the S Prestige?? I bought my RG 22 years ago and it's still a great guitar but it's a little lifeless on the cleans. Which of the three has the best playability?
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 247
    The S has the skinniest neck and body, the action can get lower than the others but doesn't necessarily make it easier to play... cleans are much better than the RG. RG neck is a bit fuller in the hand, fretwork not as good, prefer it for shredding on though tonally. The Suhr was nice to play, not as easy as people would have you believe though, think of it more as a refined strat rather than a classy version of an 80s shred machine.
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 418
    I just had a look on the Ibanez website and saw this http//www.ibanez.com/products/eg_detail17.php?year=2017&area_id=3&cat_id=1&series_id=5&data_id=245&color=CL01

Looks like the kind of thing I am after and it's a lot less than a modern Pro.